Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, no need to apologize. I just added the Sixmoons except as intellectual fodder to stimulate further discussion (such as Steve's response). This thread is a treat. Keep trucking...
+ 1, Keep the comparisons going, This is my favorite digital thread!, I never seen anything like it before, You are doing great matt!, Bravo!
Matt, I've been lurking on this thread, but thought I'd chime in to show my (our) appreciation for your efforts.

Like you, I'm primarily interested in Redbook playback. You currently have one of the DACs that I'm considering, so I'm looking forward to your results.

Keep up the good work/play... and feel good about it.

Rob
I am also primarily interested in Redbook performance and this is my favorite thread on the Gon! Love your willingness to share your journey to the dac of your dreams.
"Steve, have you considered/tried adding a volume control to the Final Drive?"

I have. I can get an autoformer for the steps in attenuation. The problem is that it does not solve the problem for ALL DACs. Many do not have low output impedance, so they lack drive. What I would rather do is a preamp with a combination of active gain and transformer coupling, so I get low output impedance, galvanic isolation and true balanced output. Next project (I have so many on my plate...)

Steve N.
Empirical Audio