Can almost anyone learn to set up a Cartridge?

I continue to look for a plug and play only because I do not know how and really have no idea what so ever on how to set up a cartridge. Is this something a novice can learn and do with the manual that is supplied with the TT or cartridge? Do I purchase set up aids of one sort or another?
I want to use a MC cartridge and it seems when ever I find something I have a interest in it has a MM mounted or no cartridge at all.
Just six months ago my wife has now allowed me to change light bulbs, so I think I am ready to take that next step and be able to mount my own cartridge.
Ok fellows, be gentle, I am not a young buck, but I am eager to learn.
Thanks,
Dave
valleyplastic
you might want to get a cheapo used cartridge to practice with.....small mistakes can cost a LOT of money...
A lot depends on your arm/cartridge combo. It took me forever to dial in a Graham 2.2 Benz Ruby because of the azimuth and those damn sideweights. Then there id the damping fluid level. Pain in the ass but was well worth it when I finally got it right. I'd find a dealer who knows whats he's doing and let him help you out.
I've been working on a printable template to take the pain out of (repeatable) cartridge setup. My reference is a Teres 255 table with an Origin Live tonearm. It relies on Doug Deacon's ear for Pivot-to-Spindle length (for an Origin Live arm), and John Elison's Baerwald Alignment spreadsheet for the rest of the mathematical calculations.

If you're interested (and have MS Visio and Excel) I'll send you my progress to date. I would welcome any feedback.
Lugnut - that was a very well thought out explaination. When is your book coming out? Can I get an autographed copy. ; )