Wavac MD 300B Monoblocks

Hello all:

I was thinking about purchasing a pair of Wavac MD 300B Monoblocks to match with my Peak Consult Empress. No nearby Wavac dealer and I was just looking for a few opinions before making a 500 mile trip to audition. (which of course I will before purchase)

I do not have much experience with SET's or Wavac. I'm using Gamut D200 mk3 and the sound is quite good; just looking for alittle variety and hopefully better than "quite good".

I'd appreciate any/all opinions and experiences.

Thanks much
Brian
audiobrian
Your mention of 805 reminds me of something - have you considered the big Cary monoblocks? I also heard these at CES in Cary's room and was very impressed. I remember thinking that when I heard them, everything I had read about SET amps made sense- very vivid, clean and rich at the same time. Perhaps a touch of euphonic distortion, but I wouldn't swear to it - perhaps they were just revealing the true harmonics in the music really well. Intriguing to look at, too, with the big 845 or 211(?) power tubes. If I were to pursue the SET sound, these would definitely be on the list to audition. Hard to tell how they compare with the WAVACS, since speakers, source cables, and everything else was different, b ut the Cary system impressed me more than the Wavac systems.
hi Brian
I was wondering.
Which preamp (solid state or tube) are you using
with the Gamut D200 mkIII & the Peak Empress's.
Thanks
Hi Jjtoma:

Sorry for my delayed response. I am using a VAC Ren mk2 with the D200 mk3; actually a very good match....I may forgo the SET's, as this may require biamping to get the bass I am accustomed to...even if the mids are better with the Wavacs

Brian
I listened some time ago to a Wavac 300B, but it was a Stereo and originally built from Shisido. It was unbelievable good.
It was connected to a high sensitive speaker (8 ohms, 96 dB+).

I think, most "negative" Demos are a mismatch with speakers.
I'd agree with ThomasHeisig. Heard a couple of Wavacs today and yesterday and they had a beautiful presentation. Very serious amplifiers.