Telefunken E188CC Sound

Has anyone heard or have the Telfunken E188CC and E88CC?. I would like to know if the E1 is worth the extra money or are the E88CC as good.The E1 go for $400.00 and the E88CC for around $150.00 to $200.00
128x128glory
Broke-in? If tubes don't sound good after 8 hours of warm-up, then they're the wrong tubes for the application or the listener's preference. We're not talking about capacitors here.

Hi Tvad, even eight hours would be a break-in period. I purchased two new pairs of the Early 60 Siemens CCa tubes about a year ago. And yes after a few hours they do start to open up. After about 25 hours they sounded even better. Even used NOS tubes that were not in service for many years need a few hours of Burn-in, maybe a better word, would you not agree?
Jim
A few hours of burn-in would be appropriate, IMO. 25 hours would be unecessary...also IMO, although at least one tube dealer has mentioned the necessity of 24 hour burn-in for some NOS tubes. He specifically mentioned this regarding tubes quieting down. My experience has been that extended burn-in did not mitigate tube noise.

I would question whether better sound after 25 hours is directly related to the tubes, or whether it is related to all the electronics warming up, and capacitors fully charging, etc. Of course, if all the gear is left on 24/7, then perhaps the 25 hours on the tubes is the cause.

06-11-06: Bojack
...they were not worth this kind of money when compared to other brands (Philips and Amperex) that sounded as good or better in my system.
The key words here are "in my system." The general consensus is that CCa tubes do indeed sound better in many systems, but as always, one's results may vary. Clearly yours did. Perhaps down the road in a different system that you assemble, the differences will be more evident.
I would question whether better sound after 25 hours is directly related to the tubes, or whether it is related to all the electronics warming up, and capacitors fully charging, etc. Of course, if all the gear is left on 24/7, then perhaps the 25 hours on the tubes is the cause.

No, I do not leave my tube gear on 24/7. 25 cumulative hours. I turn on my system and let it warm up for about 30 minutes with a source playing then I sat down for listening. Grant are you telling us that a New NOS tube sounds the same to you after a couple of hours burn-in than when you have accumulated , say 15 or 20 hours on it? I don't think so....
Grant are you telling us that a New NOS tube sounds the same to you after a couple of hours burn-in than when you have accumulated , say 15 or 20 hours on it? I don't think so....
Jea48 (Threads | Answers)
I don't believe I have ever owned any tubes that could be verified as new NOS (as evidenced by a seal on the tube box or the like), although I have owned many tubes that tested NOS or better, so I cannot definitively answer your question. However, all the tubes I have owned have sounded the same on the third listening session in a succession of three four hour sessions (or less). That's my experience, and it's all I can offer. If your experience is different, then I respect that...and I want to know your source for verifiable new NOS tubes. :)
I don't believe I have ever owned any tubes that could be verified as new NOS (as evidenced by a seal on the tube box or the like), although I have owned many tubes that tested NOS or better, so I cannot definitively answer your question. However, all the tubes I have owned have sounded the same on the third listening session in a succession of three four hour sessions (or less). That's my experience, and it's all I can offer. If your experience is different, then I respect that...and I want to know your source for verifiable new NOS tubes. :)

Wow Tvad, having a bad hair day? You will have to pick a fight elsewhere.
Hve you never bought a new current made tube of today? Maybe an EH, new in the box, just a few hours burn-in is all you need, the tube will sound the same after 15 or 20 hours?
You can have the final word....