B&W 802 N vs. D

I apologize in advance since this is probably an old question, but can someone summarize for me the differences in the sound of the 802 N and 802 D? I am wondering if the D's are worth the extra $$ they go for.
diw

Showing 14 responses by kodg

y might just be accustomed to the N sound/familar!

Good for you save the $$ & stick w/them.

aim hestitant to drop any more $$ on new 800 series b&w as i think there about due for an up-grade.
Kodg here I want to add to my early opion. I have actually purchased a used pair of 802d recently. I had to drive 4 hrs. each way to get them as the guy did not have the boxes, but the price was too good to pass up. I have owned or own now ever new 800 series speaker.

IMO 802d is probably the best speaker in the world for the money. If B&W was'nt the 3rd. largest manufacturer in the world the speakers would probably cost $15,000+ more.

If your a B&W guy like me & have had good luck stick w/them. The new Focals are over $100,000.00 sound damn good but you get 90% of the performance at 1/10 of t price! Wilson & CA audio fall into the same catagory, (IMO I hate t way the wilson look also)

Once again if y are satisfied w/t 802N stick w/them.

If y must up-grade buy a pair of 802ds & one of t matching daimond centers, you will not be on odd ball speaker out.

I agree w/t other gentlemen that 802ds would be over kill for your surrounds. Not enought music is transmitted through t surrounds to justify the $$.

All thought t looks of t 802n & the 802d are similair B&W says 80% of the new 800 series has been up-dated. They are beatiful looking speakers & I can say they sound absolutely amazing!!

I could not justify spending $100,000 + more on any other speaker brand period. IMO it is not possible to improve on the sound performance you get from the 802d in a significant/real world listing experience.

*In other words y could spend another $100,000+ on some wilsons or Focals, ect. & only really improve your listing experience over t 802ds by maybe 5-10% max.

**THE LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS.**

Kodg.
A comment for missioncoonery who the heck came up w/such a gay sounding name as the puppies?? That alone would make me not purchase them or do what y do call they the 3/2!

Kodg.
Dave the room , the gear, ect. are not neccessary to rate one speaker against another as he is keeping his same set-up.
any room can be made accoustically correct, my room is a perfect example. This guy is talking about switching speakers not his amp, entire set-up. So the sound from a new speaker is going to sound different wheter it be b&w, Wilsons, Focal, CA audio, ect.

What he wants to know is if the D series is superior to the N. The simple answer is yes by about 50%. B&w does not come out w/new models every year like most speaker manufactures to try to boost sales. The Natilus ran for 7 years. B&W only makes changes to their design when they can honestly improve it, not just change colors of box design, their philosy is form follows function, hence the lack of noticable difference in apperance between the N & D. Much like Porshe. If y start w/a superior design their is no reason for a complete overhaul.

Kodg.
Missman, hi how are you? y tell me what the new focals list for then? ther $90,000+, wilson alexander $248, 000, ect. ect. slow & tubby 802d's you have never listened to them if thats your description!! or maybe you were looking in the mirror when you were writing your comment!

They are anything but slow & tubby!! you have to be in the 1% class that thinks the 802d is slow or tubby. e-mail one proffessional review that does'nt give the 802d at least a 92% rating! (I will be waiting for ever, because no one has rated the 802d as anything but superior.)

Kodg

Audiofeil
Dear audiofool (no serious just juicing things-up)

B&W has been in business for a long time because they produce great speakers at reasonable prices! Dinos?? B&W has been the biggest inventor of new technology in speakers since they began!!

You seem like the the guy that buys on fades, fancy colors & freaky cabinets. Your mind chages as the wind blows. I aim a blue jean & tee shirt guy not a fade chaser. I don't think y remain the 3rd largest manufacturer of speakers in the world by living off your reputation!

B&W has been an inovator & still is. Your telling me a daimond tweeter is a dino.?? that is the latest tech. available, they grow those daimond tweeters, which by the way have to reach the tempture of the sun to produce, if thats not cutting edge what is?

Of course it is just IMO. Their are so many speaker companies out their most will be gone in ten years & B&W will still be leading the way!

One last point y mentioned Wilsons as superior(new) hell they have been using the same bass/tweeter & mid range I think for 12 Years. That puppy is dead 10 times over in dog years!!

Kodg
know that I have everyone attention I have an idea. but first I will make a comment or two. comparing GM to B&W is a bad example period. I never had any luck w/t few GM cars (Vans) I have owned. my oldler brother has never had a problem w/gm cars/trucks in 30 yrs? so their y go, it is a matter of taste (I agree w/you). last opion I said I think the 802d is the best speaker in the world for the money, all the speakers y listed were more expensive, not $110k but at least 4-10 thousand more. I have heard heard hundreds of speakers.

I do like B&W & I like their customer service. (important to me).

I was not serious I don't think anyone else was as far as nasty stuff, it just something to do,.

I recommended if y went the 802d route to get one of t 2 daimond centers they offer, so y would not have any extra speaker, or have to find a single single 802d. (I have never seen a single 80sd/n f sale) I have the 802ds & hmt2d as my center & the tonality matches perfectly.

Personally I like my system ,but I still look for fun & to possible up-grade. my old system is listed on this site by the way. When I buy I aim a research hound! (once again searching for a hidden gem is part of the fun.)

**I was thinking of starting a small audio club. The idea was to get some trustworthy guys & purchase a Cable Cooker. I been in contact w/the company that sells the most used Cable C./there best one is like a $1000.00.

Once y cook your cables they last for a 6 months- 1 year, then Ideally should be re-cooked.(so I have been told) I would love to have one but once I cooked my cables the thing would sit their for a 6 months/year before I felt t need to cook them again.

Five guy throw in $200.00 & we rotate the cooker back & forth.(each use it for two weeks, ect.) it is kinda silly to spend a grand on something you use once & rarely after that. I would fork over $200.00 to have a cable cooker available but I don't think I would want to spend a $1000 on one.

What do y guys think?
(I think five would be a good number)

Kodg
The simple answer to your question is YES the d series sound better than the old n by about 40%.

I would by two 802ds & one of the (two) daimond matching centers b&w offers. I have seen some good price on audiogon for the daimond centers.

I still would like to know if y guys are interested in the cable cooker idea?

Thanks,
Dan/Kodg
Dear Bombaywalla:

One of the positive changes to the new d series is it does not amplify (as much) poor components down stream like the older N did. (good point though B&W's love power)

My amp has more than enought power to push the 802d like a leaf in a strong breeze.

Kodg.
THE BOTTOM LINE TO OUR B&W BASHER IS: ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS & SKY WALKER STUDIOS, THEY CAN BUY ANY SPEAKER BRAND IN THE WORLD , YET THEY USE B&W'S. Hmmm I guess your right they are slow & stoddgy & suck. Thats why they record 90% of the music you listen too!!

They are far from Dinasours living on past reputation, these peoples livelyhoods depend on their equipment in this case speakers & they choose B&W, not Focal, Wilsons, ect., ect., END OF STORY ON B&W BEING BETTERED BY MANY OTHER SPEAKERS!!
Bom:

I love it you hit the nail on the head!! people who's paycheck rely on their equipment , carpenters, Studio engineers, ect. Now I would listen to their opion on equipment!

Once again I have said three times the 802d does sound about 40% better than the 802N. I would purchase 2 802ds for the front mains & the hmt2d center & be done with it. I run class D amplification to my 802ds & they sound wonderfull. Rated at 220 watts per channel continous at 8 ohms.
DIW
THEY STOPPED PRODUCING THE N SEREIS IN 2005 THEY RAN FOR 7 YEARS. I AGREE MY B&W SPEAKERS ARE FAR FROM SLOW & SOUND GREAT W/MY CLASS D AMP FROM WYRED4SOUND (HIDDEN GEM)

ONCE AGAIN ALL THE MAJOR RECORDING STUDIOS USE B&W SPEKERS, CAN'T BE A COINCIDECE!! THEY JUST REPODUCE SOUND AS NATURALLY AS POSSIBLE. IF Y READ ANY REVIEWS FROM STUDIO ENGINEERS THEY ALL SAY B&W IS THE BEST SPEAKER TO LISTEN TO TO MIX MUSIC AS IN PRODUCES THE MOST UN-TAINTED SOUND FROM THE ORIGINAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.

STEVE SPIELBURG RECORDING STUDIO ALSO USES B&W SPEAKERS!

MISSCOONEY YOU PROBABLY HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD THE 800 SERIES SPEAKERS , THE OTHER GUY IS RIGHT Y JUSY LIKE TO AGRUE LIKE BA'CTH & YOUR AUDIO /VIDEO KNOWLEDGE IS SO LIMITED YOU SHOULD JUST GO BACK TO HANGING AROUND WITH YOUR VIRTUAL COMPUTER GENERATED GIRLFRIEND. YA ALL THESE EXPERTS ARE WRONG ABOUT B&W & YOUR HOLINESS IS RIGHT!!

BOW DOWN TO STUPIDITY AS HE IS YOUR MASTER & MOVE ALONG!

KODG
i have read two or three reviews that stated they did not need a sub with the 802ds. i have two jl audio f-113 running along my 802ds & the bass is out of this world.

i guess i comes down to how much bass you like in your listening. if good bass is adequate, your fine just using the 802ds.

kodg
TPREAVES:

I just put an estimate percentage on the performance difference between the N & D series.

This thread started as is the D worth or that much better than the N series.

I aim a B&W guy & have really done a lot of reading/research on the speakers. I have also talked quite a bit with Eric McBride the tech. supervisior for B&W USA.

Since then the thread has evolved quite a bit.

KODG