Solid state amp to replace my Audio Research Ref 150 amp

I have owned an Audio Research Ref. 150 for 4 years, but with tube changes and the heat, I'd like to find a solid state amp that would mate well with my Baby Nola speakers, as well as be 100% reliable and have the great sound my AR amp has given me. The AR amp was originally recommended by the Nola designer, Carl Marschiotta. 

My listening tastes primarily range in jazz, classical, roots music, and Americana such as Jason Isbell. I do like to rock the house occasionally, but I greatly value the finesse I get from the AR 150, as well as the solid bass and dimensionally my amp provides in my system.

I don't want to replace my Audio Research preamp and phono preamp, so I am wishing for a solid state power amp that will fulfill my amplifier hopes, work with my other AR pieces an continue to provide me the pleasure my Audio Research amp has given me.

I would like to pay less than $8k on AudiogoN.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

128x128shaq
JC-1's are good, solid amps...i didn't mention them because the ones i listed are better. of course in the very high levels of high end amplifiers, we're talking about subtle differences. however, amps can make more than a subtle difference. case in point; when i had the levinson amp in my music room over at my parent's house, it sounded as if i needed some serious room treatment. i then switched to an fm acoustics 611, and voila, what i thought were room anomalies were at least 85-90 percent gone! its all bout that damping factor, driver conrol, and signal to noise ratio...
shaq, I can't comment on your ARC amp but will say I'm surprised no one suggested the Parasound JC-1s.  Could that be because they have been around so long and thus not the "latest and greatest"?  Well, there is a reason for that longevity.

Different speakers but I replace VTL monos with the JC-1s and liked them better overall.

Shaq,

I agree with Johnny R from Audioconnection.  I owned the Ref 150, dropped in KT-150s and noticed a big improvement and then had ARC do the SE upgrade and noticed another big jump in performance.  

I know many members have made some fine recommendations, but IMO, you can squeeze a lot more performance out of your Ref 150 by doing the SE upgrade, which includes a complete retube.

BIF
here’s abrief list

accuphase p-7300-this golden godzilla was birthed from a secret nuclear plant in yokohama, japan. it looks awesome on paper, and the meters will have you mesmerized, 3 times the price here in the us than in japan, ridiculous! but that’s another conversation for another time.

mcintosh mc452-i heard through the ol’ grapevine that mc is having some trouble on the business end of things. i hope they get that ironed out soon, because the mc452 is a killer amp and costs much less than the golden godzilla.

pass labs x350.8-killer amps from the house that nelson built absolutley transparent with a full-bodied midrange. but is a bit pricey, runs hot, and will spin the electric meters like a top.

bryston 14b3-this could be the sleeper of this bunch, or it could be crap. i don’t really care for the new consumer series faceplates, so you might wanna get the pro series which are the same or very similar faceplates as the old sst series. besides, you'll get a healthier discount from a pro audio dealer than a hi-fi one....if we’re going by the older sst2 series, and if this is the better amp overall, then you have a winner from the frozen tundra that is canada. love em or hate em, these canucks know how to build an amp. pricewise it sits in between the mcintosh and the pass labs..it’s more powerful than those 2, however. but as is par for the course with bryston, you either love ’em or hate ’em...

now, i advise you to go out and listen. i know i need to!

Ref 75se makes a ton of sense here.

For SS, Dart and Ayre would work very well. Dart is out of budget unless you swap to the integrated. 
I have a Ref 75 SE and it's the best amp I've never had in my system. It has beaten a Pass X250.5 and Classe stereo amp in direct shootout. It shoots way above its 75W. Initially I was not sure that would be enough but in my room (14X18X7) it can reach ear piercing levels and the needle barely moves.

Sweet highs, mids to die for and excellent bass for its size. Much better and deeper bass than many ss I've tried although to be fair, I know some mono-blocks would provide that little extra some people are looking for.  I use a JL F113 sub to complement it and I'm not needing more bass.
I was told that watt for watt, the Ref 75 SE is the best sounding ARC amp in the line up. Obviously if you need more power, then you have no choice but to move up the line.
I'm also thinking of getting an alternatives,  the Reference 75 SE amplifier from AResearch.

Anyone familiar with how that amp sounds?

I have the Ref 250 (not se).  I enjoy them a lot but the heat is too much in the summer.  I tried many SS including Luxman, Pass, Ayre, MBL, Lamm.  The Accuphase A70 is very similar to ARC in terms of tonal balance.  Better bass extension but still not quite the same micro dynamics that tubes have (but close).
Hi shaq,

You've received a bunch of "recommendations" so far , any thoughts on what you are planning on doing? I am curious because I have both tubes and solid state. I go back and forth when I get tired of one, I move to the other. It keeps things interesting for me.

Thanks.

I have already mentioned it, but the SST Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks are in the league.  These are worth a listen. No, not the same,    but they do portray a fine line between tubes and solid state and truly are wonderful amps.  Will they shaq's cup of tea? I don't know, but these are fine amps by any standard. 

Tim

I don't think the Ref 150 is easily replaced by ss. The only one in a sane price range that I have heard and believe would give it a run is the Wells Innamorata. I have heard this amp in 2 settings and was very very impressed but have not done an AB comparison.
I once did an in home audition of the Dag stereo amp which bettered the Ref 150 in some respects but not others. That is how strong the Ref150 is. And that was not even the SE version. BTW--- I loved the Dag too.
dbarger151 posts05-22-2016 8:39amYou won't find a solid state amp that is as good as your Ref 150.  I have tried many times, just out of curiosity.  Many of the amps mentioned here are not even close.  I am pretty sure these suggestions come from people who have not had a 150  in their system.

You think???

OP, great news.  You can replace the ARC REF150 with any SS amp!.  

"Need to hear a dartzeel or Agostino before dissing all solid state. IMO"

Good point.  I have only heard the D'agostino at shows, but these are at a very different price point.  I think the OP was looking at spending $8k.

I find most Pass would do good job for you, similar to Pass .5 or .8 is Coda. I like their amps a great deal and Coda also is the basis for Sanders amps and lastly,  Jim Bongiorno has passed,  but his last amp is exceptional. Ampzilla 2000... Wired for sound has bought Jims company and have finished his last amp called Son of Ampzilla II.  I've heard it is very good, but I doubt that it will be in the league of the Pass, Coda or Ampzilla 2000.

I hope this helps, Tim

" You won't find a solid state amp that is as good as your Ref 150. "

all of my digital amplifier experiences have been pretty disappointing.   I would be completely shocked if a digital amp could compete seriously with a ref 150!
" You won't find a solid state amp that is as good as your Ref 150. "

I have owned tube equipment. Once owned a refurbished Mac MC 275. With  many solid state amps I would agree with your point.  NuPrime is not really typical solid state..though it uses no tubes. I hear a finer transparency with my modified Nuforce (same parent company) that I could never achieve with tubes. Its different than tube sound.  But transparent just the same. NuPrime offers an upgrade done by its authorized factory service that would surprise you.
 Just because the price is not stratospheric? Some will look the other way.  Keep an open mind when you get a money back guarantee.
You won't find a solid state amp that is as good as your Ref 150.  I have tried many times, just out of curiosity.  Many of the amps mentioned here are not even close.  I am pretty sure these suggestions come from people who have not had a 150  in their system.  Even the Pass, which many recommend, is an nice solid state amp that sounds like solid state.    If you are willing to get a compromise but still excellent amp, the Ayre VX-5 is a very good amp.  But I recommend getting the SE upgrade on your 150 and a quiet fan.  Maybe the Dyson?

Krell Duo 300 sounds fantastic.  Huge soundstage, exquisite detail, and of course Krell bass extension!  It's like having a perfectly integrated sub, but without one.  Nice.  :-)
You probably can't imagine how much amplifier you can get for less money  with the 250 watt/ch Gilmore Audio Raptor mono blocks or his stereo Raven with half the power. Power doubles into 4 ohm load . I had a fine tube amp and these sound so much the same without hum, noise , or distortion . Best amps I've ever heard , not counting David Berning's ZH-270 . Gilmore's are Class D and run cool to the touch . Damn fine man to deal with as well .
Keep a lookout for a used Bedini, Class A. The 100/100 and 200/200 put out Class A sound but only Class B heat.
Hi,

now your ears are adjusted to tube sound, maybe at the beginig the ss amps come to you little bit straight without soul!!
But there is only one brand that has power, swet and warm sound ! The brand is Constalletion Audio if you have budget go and buy any product from its reference sereies or performance series! Thats the end of the road, if you dont know the sound go and listen in a distrp.

my best
Post removed 
I have heard all of the above and all decent yet what you now have is in another league especially with your Nola speakers.
ARC is what Car Nolas designer Voices with and also loves I would stay the course with the Ref 150 and even upgrade it to the 150 SE its a superb improvement.
 Best JohnnyR
Hi Shaq:

Sanders Sound Systems makes the finest Audio Solid State Magtech Power amplifier I have had the pleasure to own in my 40+ years as an Audiophile.
Presently using it with a Audio Research REF-5 Line Source Tube Preamp and REF Phono 2 Phono Tube Preamp. Fantastic Combination.

A new one can be purchased Direct from Sander Sound Systems for $5500.00.
If you are luck you may be able to find a Used owned one on Audiogon
for $4000-$4500.  The Magtech will deliver close to 800 WPC.

Please do yourself a favor and check out Sanders Sound System White papers on the Magtech Stereo Amplifier.

Yes I do own a pair of Mr Sanders Magtech Amplifiers.
Almost forgot: Check out The lifetime warranty to Original Owner.
Also check out The in Home preview.  Also available for potential purchasers.

Surprised that nobody recommended McCormack.  My favorite solid state.  And won't break the bank. 
Try a symphonic line amplifier.  Maybe used Boulder but for that budget might be a stretch.  
I've been happy with the Cary SA 200.2 solid state amp, which replaced a Cary tube amp. Running it with the Cary SLP98L pre. A nice combo IMHO.
I have a Plinius amp and was concerned about the heat factor as well. I can tell you that I have never had an issue with heat even in class A. I suppose it depends on the load it is driving. Maybe take a look at Jeff Rowland amps.
Last year when I was in the market for a new set of amps, I had all these amps at the same time  and did a thorough comparison. My findings as follows: Ref250, Lamm 2.2, Pass Labs XA160.5 and XA100.5, Krell 402e and Levinson No. 532 and I likes the amps in the below order.
1. REF250 with KT150
2. Lamm M2.2
3. Pass Labs XA160.5 
3. Krell 402e
4. XA100.5
5. ML 532

It was a tossed up between the the XA160.5 and 402e.
Both ModWright and Pass will give your Ref 150 a run for the money. They don't pretend to be tubes, but they are both great amps. I like many don't have any desires to go back to a tube amp for the same reasons you're considering the change. I've listened to a lot of SS amps and Pass has gotten me closer to the magic of tubes. I love listening to a fine tube amp but I don't want the headaches or cost of re-tubing a big tube amp; no thank you. I've had several tube amp owners hear my Pass and they have commented on how great it sounds and how it doesn't sound like a SS amp. I'm using a tube preamp so I'm sure that helps as well.
Perhaps consider the Modwright KWA-150SE. In my system it strikes a nice balance of tube and solid state virtues. You can switch between low and high bias modes--in high bias it runs slightly warm (Class A for the first 15w) and sounds more like tubes, in low bias mode (Class A/B) it generates little heat and sound almost as good. Built like a tank with great product support from Dan. I've had mine for years and the only thing that would lure me away are the right SE tube monoblocks (my speakers are 97db efficient). BTW, you can also run the Modwright in bridged mono for speakers that need crazy power.
A solid state amp to replace your Ref 150?  Same level of performance?  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I appreciate ARC gear and your current combination seems terrific. I would guess you'd miss the 150 the minute you turned on whichever solid state you choose.

Why not consider a decent performing lower dollar solid state with proven resale like a Parasound or older Ayre V3 and keep the 150 and do the turbo upgrade when it's available. 
have to say that the Krell Chorus amps are awesome w fans that you can't hear.,Can find a good price too.,

Had ARC D150 many years ago using Pass 350.8 wonderful sounding amp very reliable as well. Good luck.

You should consider an Aesthetix Atlas. Tube front end (2 tubes) and solid state output. Runs warm but not like an Audio research tube amp.
ARC Ref250SE is my main amps and I use a Hegel H30 in the summer for obvious reasons.  It's not tubes but excellent nevertheless.   It's runs cool, not dry like most SS amps, linear and dead quiet (no transformer hum or HF hiss).

I compare to many ... could live with most, found Pass XA160.5 accentuated mid too much for my taste.    

Hegel H30 listing.

Carl Marschiotta always use ARC at shows.  It's interesting he was using VAC Master pre and 200iq amps at CES.