ARCAM AVR600 Reliability Issues

I'm considering the purchase of an ARCAM AVR600 but have read a lot of older posts on various forums about reliability/operational issues with it - weird noises from the speakers, the unit freezes up, random volume changes, etc.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Have the more recent firmware updates addressed these issues?

The sound of the ARCAM blew me away but I don't want to invest in a piece that's going to drive us crazy. I'm also considering the Integra 80.3 and the NAD T187 to use with my existing power amps. Any thoughts on those units in comparison to the ARCAM?
audioengineer99
REALLY??? Zydo-----not according to Arcam. these are specific changes that were and are required by every unit at some point. I do not understand your affirmation of this product????
bluesnbike,

I'm simply stating what my personal experience has been. There are many products I've sold over the years that have been much more troublesome. For one thing, none of the 600's I've ever had were the original firmware. I was not an Arcam dealer when they came out. Every time I get a shipment, they have the newest firmware out. That's not to say that at some point a person won't want to get the latest version. I never updated mine, and I know to this point, it still never has been. I have several things at home that have updates available. I personally don't do it unless I have a problem. To say they will all (the 600's) NEED it at some point isn't accurate. They may, they may not. My advice to people would be if its working well, leave it alone. Many years ago, I updated my PC to service pack 2. It became totally non functional. Only after going back to the previous version was I able to use it. My attitude since then is "if its not broken, don't fix it" People try to do their own updates, sometimes they are successful, sometimes they screw something up. I think the 600 is great. If I could afford one for my second system in my living room, I'd buy it in a second.
Zydo--- I have just had my Arcam 600 "updated for software and firmware"---I did not purchase this unit with the expectation of this nightmare. I will report back as to how this unit functions with my Conrad Johnson Amp, Pre Amp, Oppo DVD, Comcast, Pioneer Elite-----to be continued. Also, I do not believe that you have had so many "happy" customers for this unit. Based upon feed back I have gleaned from this site and others on internet--
Blues,

I would expect the updates will solve your problem. Did you send it to an authorized Arcam repair center? I assume you bought it new, and it was under warranty.

I guess I'm a bit confused as to how you are hooking it up with an amp, and pre amp. Or what the pioneer elite is you are talking about.

You can believe whatever you care to about my "happy" customers. If you read my feedback, you won't see that. As for negative posts on the web, I'm well aware, and have read some myself. Keep in mind, one person with a problem is going to make a lot of noise. 1000 people that are happy probably don't sit down and type out a review.

Its unfortunate that you had a problem, but, Arcam will make it right for you I'm sure. You can google any product made and find people that are unhappy with it. I don't care if its toothpaste, or a Learjet. As I said in my first reply, my personal experience has been good, and that's what I base my comments on. Believe it or not.
I bought one 4 years ago and have had it in the shop twice now. In fact Arcam has it right now and my retailer sent me email saying it would be back next week. The first time it was the internal cooling fan. It was running all the time, winter or summer, hot or cool. It is a very loud running fan. Then a couple of months ago my right rear speaker began to output static. The one month ago the front right speaker began to do the same thing. I agree that when it works it sounds great but my experience is that it is no where near the money we all paid to have these ongoing issues and like the other fellow that is just posting what he experiences, well I am doing the same. I want my money back so I can get a piece that actually works well. Another note is that the dealer I bought it from has dropped all Arcam products as well because of what we all are complaining of.