Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
drrsutliff,

Congrats on the new home, dedicated room, use of "Jim Smiths" book and the willingness to take some time and think things out.
Did you use a tape or get the recommended laser?
 The laser will help you get that last bit of everything the Thiels or any speaker can bring to your room.

Dedicated line yet? Sounds like your enjoying already. Your Thiels are worth the extra effort.

Congrats again
nkonor
Good to see you guys enjoying the exchange of ideas, banter and celebrating of our beloved loudspeakers.  Like so many here in these forums, I enjoy Conrad Johnson gear, as well.  Keep up the friendly fire.

Happy Listening!
So all this talk about room size, and placement theory, had me experimenting and moving the 2.4s around again.  The room has absorption panels on the side walls, corner bass traps on the front wall, and diffraction on the back wall.  Room is 13'6"W x 23'L x 8'H.

I ended up with them 57" from the front wall, 44" from the side wall, and 75" apart.  Listening position is 100".  All measurements are from the centre of the THIEL name plate.

So I lost none of the soundstage width (which often goes wall-to-wall), gained some depth, and a little tighter focus in the vocals.

I'm somewhat amused by this, because it seemed to fly in the face of the wisdom of most literature recommending an 8' minimum distance between speakers.  I've been able to free myself of the head in a vice behaviour, as a result.

I've been running through my usual test tracks and have been pleased with the results.  Painter's tape markings have been repositioned accordingly.

My mileage has been varied...

Cheers,
Warren

^I believe the most critical distance for time and phase coherence (an attribute that can only be found with classic Thiel's beginning with the CS series and a handful of other loudspeakers) is the 8' minimum recommended distance from loudspeakers to listener. The recommendation to start with an equilateral triangle has led many to perhaps over generalize that listener to speaker distance of 8' to a strict minimum distance between speakers. IMHO, still a good baseline from which to start. As rooms, and room nodes and reflections vary from room to room, other considerations might weight more heavily.

Have you considered long wall placement? IME, (and in a room not too different than yours)  such placement, with absorptive room treatment directly behind the listener, has been the preferred placement.

Hi unsound,

It wasn't a serious consideration because the room doubles as a home theatre too; where we often add a second row of seats.  

There's a structural telepost (masqueraded by a 16" wooden column) that interferes as well so it was better to have it off to the one side rather than directly in the middle of the seating. 

Anyway I was just playing around with the Cardas golden ratios and such, and seemed to have reached a good sonic solution for 2-ch.  

That reminds me to build my next house with floor trusses; and free up the space for even more flexibility...

Cheers,
Warren