Opinion - Every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers

I think everyone who does this, even just once, would be forever changed and become an improved music listener as well as equipment hobbyist.

Whether you build a single driver speaker like the LM-1S or the 2-way desktop LM-1 (designs are free) or any other kit from

I think you would find yourself with very different biases and understanding of how parts interact, how drivers work, and how much a good pair of speakers should cost, and most likely you would have a different opinion about what a good speaker sounds like.

Would you build world reference speakers for $50 a pair? Not likely at all, but when I see audiophiles argue over thousands of dollars in speaker cables and interconnects, I think to myself, their opinions and biases about where to spend their time and money would be forever changed if they built but a single pair of speakers.

Also, of course, building speakers is fun as hell, and a great project to introduce kids to electronics. Especially girls, we need more girls who grow up to be speaker makers, amp designers and audiophiles!

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
I bought some plans for Lowther Fideleo speakers in the late 90's early 2000's & built them with my father in his garage workshop around the same time. I was working/living down South at the time so we'd work on them when I was in town. He taught me a lot about how to cut/set/glue all of those pieces inside that folded horn design. Finally bought some PM2C drivers for them around 2002. Just replaced those drivers a couple years ago with the Lowther DX version. Those speakers with an REL sub are wonderful. Still using & enjoying them today, in fact right now. 
While on the GR Research site, check out the 12" servo-feedback subwoofer drivers---one for sealed enclosures, another for OB/dipole applications, and the cabinet plans for 1- a double-walled enclosure with sand between the two walls for the 12" driver, and 2- plans for the W- and H-frames for the state-of-the-art OB/Dipole Sub that is the product of the collaboration between Danny Richie and Rythmik Audio's Brian Ding, which uses a pair of the 12" woofers that have been optimized for free-air use.

well now i have to go buy a kit and try it out for my self. the bug’s bitten me.

dam you all.

;-)

As terry9 stated, building electronics and other DIY projects are fun and rewarding as well. To that effect, I just completed the DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner as per BBtx on DIY Audio. I cleaned nearly a dozen records this afternoon, and it works great. There's no doubt my records are being cleaned better than they ever have, what a feeling.....

Regards,
Dan
I'm smart enough to know I'm not smart enough to build a speaker as nice as what the same money would buy. I can build an amp though, and I can do that way cheaper than I can buy a similar amp for. I can seem to build cables that are better than lamp cord for a lot less than similar cables go for. My speakers are a hell of a lot more complicated than the amp I built.