Horn based loudspeakers why the controversy?

As just another way to build a loudspeaker system why such disputes in forums when horns are mentioned?    They can solve many issues that plague standard designs but with all things have there own.  So why such hate?  As a loudspeaker designer I work with and can appreciate all transducer and loudspeaker types and I understand that we all have different needs budgets experiences tastes biases.  But if you dare suggest horns so many have a problem with that suggestion..why?
128x128johnk
Worked with a good num of BLH designs. I mostly prefer front loaded horn systems over hybrids and BLH. But one can build a great sounding loudspeaker using BLH etc I just prefer full front horn loading and that can get large not all want, can afford or house such things. In my office system I can not fit a massive sub bass horn but do have pair of community leviathans front loaded to 70hz and I run a massive sealed bass system with it as a compromise that I can live with and greatly enjoy. In my bedroom I have a small pair of fostex BLH I place near ears for late night use. Still running 2 pairs of RCA shearer horns in main systems one using my massive sub bass horn and have one of my favorites in garage system waiting warmth a giant pair RCA front horns from late 1920s with modern drivers currently installed. Much of the rest is in storage or not in use and its to much to go into.

kosst_amojan:

why not keep your opinion to yourself UNTIL you´ve actually heard a well setup horn system, instead of playing crusader based on assumptions?

I hate redwine until I taste a good one?

weird approach

Hey there Ironleif! Should I start driving every car ever made with electric power steering before I decide electric power steering flat out blows? No idea where you got the idea I've never heard horns, but if big, honky glaring JBL and Klipsch horns never existed I'd probably be less offended by horns and more willing to give then a chance. I guess you didn't bother reading my arguments regarding their failings. I'm not going to repeat myself, but suffice it to say I don't believe you need horns for excellent dynamics, nor do I believe the coloration and far-less-than-ideal directionality are worth whatever benefits gained. Since the horn market is a distinct minority in the larger hi-fi market, I'm clearly not the only one who doesn't like them. MOST people don't like them. 
I bought my Heresys for their efficiency (used with my mighty 12 watt SEP) after a brief audition to see if I could stand the tone of these things…they seemed to sound nice enough in the showroom of the audio joint and although I use horn loaded PA speakers for shows (and own a small pair of 10" 2 way passive Mackies for my own amusement and monitor duties at shows if necessary), I haven’t owned horns for my home listening rig (my old Altec A7s were used for band gigs except for rare use as a stereo pair, or for background music between sets…loved those things)…The Heresys don’t necessarily "sound like horns"…they simply have a coherant and accurate clear tone that is non fatiguing and musical, and the efficiency is simply gravy…I have had to mess with the levels of my subs since the amp sends less signal to them relative to the mains, and the frequency "roll in" settings are different…but otherwise utterly enjoyable all around.
Kosst- {Since the horn market is a distinct minority in the larger hi-fi market, I'm clearly not the only one who doesn't like them. MOST people don't like them.}  Non sequitur