Dynavector cartridges, old and new

For more than 40 years Dynavector has been producing very high quality moving coil cartridges in Japan. Sadly we don't have a dedicated Dynavector thread here on audiogon. It would be nice to collect info about some nice rare models in one topic. 

My first Dynavector was high output model, very attractive headshell integrated as one piece - Dynavector DV-30A was released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series and 4 years before the fabulous Karat Nova. The first high output Moving Coil Dynavector DV-30 series was the next generation of the Ultimo cartridges. The Ultimo’s were manufactured by Onlife Research Inc., which later became Dynavector. The 30-series was introduced in 1978 with 3 different models DV-30A & DV-30B (HOMC) and DV-30C (LOMC). Till the early 80s it was top of the line Dynavector models.... 

But then the KARAT was released with short Ruby and Diamond cantilevers (depends on the model). I've been looking for KARAT for a long time, i found the Dynavector KARAT 23RS special calibrated version with Micro Ridge stylus tip and prism Ruby cantilever. This particular model has been introduced in 1988 and claimed to be superior to the earlier generation of Karat carts. I'd like to seek more info about this rare cartridge, but very little info available online. Anyone can comment on Karat Ruby 23RS mkI (not mkII) ?  

I know some mebers are enjoing the more expensive Karat Nova series, XV-1, XX-2, Te Kaitora Rua etc 

Modern Dynavector site is: http://www.dynavector.com/ 

But the rare models can be found here

128x128chakster
That was funny, but I think he won´t mind.
Seriously, for me a texter is a writer and what a great writer he is. His approach to cartridges in particular is actually very scientific and usually he is right IMO because he uses his true HQ gear meticulously as tools which they actually are. We are all kinda scientists here but he often explains his opinions in a convincing way, for me at least. All given info and true quality pics is quite astonishing, this speaks only how seriously he takes this strange hobby of ours and carts especially. He is not always 100 % right but he is a serious audiophile because he seems to spend all his time on Hi-Fi. Wish I had that much time ! He seems to be an analog fan and that´s just refreshing in this darn perfect digital world we are now living in.
He has become a significant and one of the most important contributors on vintage cartridges especially on MM kind and also is becoming on MC kind as we can see also in this new thread. Actually he carries the torch Raul used to do some years ago. And as now Raul praises digital as the only true kind it´s very enlightening to read Chakster´s comments on both vintage and modern cartridges here.
Keep ´em coming

I don't think it is good idea to praise chakster to much. He

already  thinks to know everything better. He is actually ''second

Raul'' but we don't need an second Raul. The one we already

have is more than sufficient. Chakster is moving to the more

expensive stuff so we may get some interesting information

from him in the future (grin).

Thanks @harold-not-the-barrel for a kind words, i am glad my contribution on this forum is interesting for some people. I miss old days of the audiogon when we had a cartridge of the month over the years when i was only a reader of this forum. Now when we have "what's the best phono stage" threads every week from different users it's getting a bit boring. Also when cartridge recommendations comes to the same 3-5 modern models in every thread it is also boring. Luckily we have the world of vintage cartridges and i am trying to discover some hidden gems (at least for myself). I don't care about digital at all, you are right, my passion is vintage vinyl (original pressings). 

Appart from my short experience with KARAT 23RS MR from the 80's i was very impressed by this NOS Klipsch MCZ-10 i've bought recently. Both cartridges have Ruby cantilevers, but they are completely different. The Klipsch has push-pull damper, nude VITAL profiles diamond (i'd like to find more about this profile), Samarium-Cobalt magnet, Special Yoke ... Impedance is 2 Ohm, Output is 0.2mV, Recommended tracking force is 1.8g and the compliance is 10cu (it's a low compliance cartridge if this figure measured at 10Hz, no info in the manual). Since it was a sealed ( NOS) cartridge i need some time to mage judgement. But this is one of those MC that you love from the start, i use ZYX CPP-1 headamp and JLTi MM input and this is a pure magic, it could be a cart of the month and probably it will be. Not so long ago i bought NOS Lustre GST-801 toneam new in the box, this sample works just fine (magnetic tracking force, magnetic antiskating), much better than my previous sample of this arm which i sold. I am very positive about this Klipsch cartridge, love the silky bass, liquid midrange, and not overestimated highs.     

@nandric I have not exceeded my red line for cartridges or tonearms, everything fine, it is not more expensive for me, i love to keep on digging and sometimes i got my prize like some rare cartridge in NOS condition for reasonable price (what can be better). When we have many great cartridges it's hard to choose which one is better, because good cartridges are all good. This is became my problem, so it is more about how to use them (which arm, phono stage etc). Still a lot of things to learn and try. 
 What I reject, is the notion that any cartridge that is no longer made, made with this or that exotic material in the cantilever, or has some unusual property or structure (magnet, coil, stylus shape) is therefore to be sought and probably sounds better than anything one can more easily acquire or which is more conventionally constructed.. I try to keep in mind that some things are rare, because they were originally a failure in the marketplace. I’m not saying that Chakster  is any more guilty of this than any others of us. We all do it.
Sure it would be very interesting to read his reviews on much more expensive carts, vintage MC kind and modern FC (of Soundsmith) kind and other "exotic" designs, in near future hopefully. That would be fun...
Actually some time ago I was very interested in the Hyperion, the finest from Soundsmith, but I can get handful of vintage quality carts for its price so I suddenly lost interest. Still, I may very well try one in the future as it surely is one of the very finest cartridges ever. But I will never try Strain Gauge system no matter how much it possibly will be hyped.
The point is he (and we others) keeps searching for greatest carts and hopefully not totally change his mind to digital, no matter how "perfect" it may eventually become.