Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
So why are you hung up on why power cords make a difference? 

I’m just generally curious what is going on scientifically speaking. Furthermore, once we understand the phenomena then we can design and tweak to produce the results we want. For example, maybe the gauge of the copper fully explains the effect. If that’s the case then we can tweak that one variable and ignore the other ones that could use up our time and money. 

Please explain the differences you hear. 

There are many differences that I hear. The treble went from bright and edgy to natural and smooth. This was most apparent at high volume levels. Whereas before the power cable, the treble at loud volumes would quickly cause listening fatigue, after the power cable, treble at high volume was much more pallatable and realistic sounding. The music overall became fuller and more musical. The bass seems to support the music better and be more coherent. It’s challening to accurately put these things into words. 

I actually don’t think there’s much mystery left with power cords. I mean, come on! You got your gauge, your metal of choice, silver or copper, stranded or solid core, geometry of choice, shielded or unshielded, highly polished conductors, advanced connectors, continuous cast copper, power cords that are controlled for directionality, cryogenically treated power cords. There are a heck of a lot more variables than gauge to play games with. There’s even the color of the jacket, if you want to get serious about it.
I have a scenario for you. Talking with my friend via cell phones, he is driving home from work. 1st, using his vehicle's bluetooth system. He gets home, no longer Bluetooth, he is now on speaker phone, walking from his vehicle to his house. Now he is in his house, scrounging around his kitchen. Then, he walks into his bathroom to tinkle. Through our phone's speakers, I hear the acoustic differences of his voice from each one of his surroundings. He questions me every time, " where am I now ? ". I hear it every time. I am familiar with his voice, and familiar with every scenario of his surroundings. I can say to any of you, this is not my imagination. Many of us have this ability, as I am not alone. No different than hearing differences in power, speaker and interconnect cables. When it comes to listening, and hearing, either you can, or you can't. Happy New Year to all, and Enjoy ! MrD.
Geoff, lets not forget the iec and power connectors ( Furutech, Oyaide, Wattgate, etc.) used on the cables, for reasons you mentioned, that play a large part of what we are hearing as well. Enjoy ! MrD.
Gotcha covered, I went back and added that before I read your post. WARNING - I oft use all 30 minutes of edit time. 😛