Thoughts on 845 set monoblocks

Your preference and why.
seadogs1

Showing 11 responses by wylmars

Does anyone have experience with the Audion Black Shadow and Tannoy Westminster Royal SE? My new WRSE's will arrive in a couple of weeks and I need a high quality tube amp. I do not believe my Classe' Omega Omicron is the right answer for the Tannoy's.
Thank you Charles1dad. I'm trying to find the best amp/pre-amp (currently use ARC REF 5) combination for my new Tannoy WRSE's. I know these decisions are always subjective, but I sense a wealth of knowledge and experience exists when I read these forums. I would prefer not making an obvious mistake. The cost is too great!
Phaelon, I will go immediately and look at the Viva Verona mono-blocks for sale. Would these be in the same quality realm as the Audion Black Shadow?
Seadogs1, I have just begun doing homework on the Audion and found they have multiple levels (5-9) of quality. Are there significant differences in performance in these various levels of performance? In regard to my choice of pre-amp, would my ARC REF 5 work well with an Audion Black Shadow or are there more synergistic combinations I should be aware of in context with the Tannoy WRSE speakers?
Anyone - the dealer offering the Viva Aurora amps doesn't know if what he's offering is an Aurora or Aurora XL model. He's trying to find out. I too have sent a request to Viva asking if there are any visible identifiers or a range of serial numbers that would confirm XL model authenticity. Does anyone know how to identify an Aurora XL from the earlier Aurora models?
Phaelon; tubes are new to me. I've always needed high output solid-state amps to run my Soundlab's. Thus, when you said 'tube selection has a huge impact on Viva amps' you have my attention. What should I 'know' about tubes for the Viva? Are they hard on tubes, or is it the sound characteristics vary widely from tube manufacturer to manufacturer? I realize this sounds naive, but I am knew to the world of tube amplifiers.
Phaelon: My question was not well thought out. My error. I realize tubes have different sound characteristics. I was attempting to ask which tubes to stay away from with regard to Viva amps.
Thank you Phaelon. I have a close personal friend who has sixty (60) years of experience with tube amplifiers and he has had bad experiences with 845 tubes. Since I am new to tubes, I'm asking a lot of questions trying to get varying perspectives on both the Viva amps and 845 tube manufacturers.
Phaelon, how and where do I contact Amedeo regarding Viva amps and proper tube selection for a Tannoy Westminster Royal SE?
Phaelon, I'm working on a purchase of Viva Aurora amps. I must sell my Classe Omega Omicron MK II, the dual monoblock (350w)single chasis version, before I finalize my purchase of the Viva amps. However, I can't seem to find the spec's for the Viva Aurora T amps ... anywhere?
My Tannoy Westminister Royal SE speakers arrived. My Soundlab M1 speakers, shipped for trade-in to the Tannoy dealer, were destroyed (dropped) by the shippers. The electronics (backplates) were not damaged. But now I have a question (also submitted tonight as a question in the spekaer forums). You have convinced me that a high-quality (Viva or equivilent) tube amp works best with the Westminister speakers. But I have a question regarding pre-amps with the Westminister speakers. The Soundlabs required a high-output power amp (Classe Omega Omicron) with a tube (ARC REF 5) pre-amp. Should I consider moving from my ARC REF 5 pre-amp to a high-quality solid-state pre-amp with my new Westminister speakers? If so, which solid-state pre-amp?