Another sign SACD is dying

I went to Best Buy to purchase some SACDs and after searching for the special section containing sacds and xrcds without success, I asked the salesman where they were. He informed me that they were all removed since dual disc is now the rage. WOW!
jmslaw
lps can be made using existing anologue or digital masters.....in other words, no investment.... its found money.........remastered sacds cost tons of money and you have to deal with the artist, etc for additional permissions and roylties.....yes niche products can survive, but sacd, like the laserdisc,beta,cd video, digital tape,the minidisc,dvda, etc., just isn't paying for itself. the hybrids will even disappear soon. the release itself, not the technology, drove those sales and the additional expense simply wasnt worth it.
The argument that SACD will die because the masses won't get into it is not valid since LP's are still around and clearly not something the masses listen to.

Perhaps. I would point to a difference between vinyl and SACD digital, however, which is that vinyl caters to niche hobbyists that prefer analog recordings, while SACD discs are a digital format which can be supplanted by another more cost effective delivery method in the future. My point is that the SACD as a delivery method may die away, but that Hi Rez digital will likely survive in another form.
Well if you are right Tvad (we are all giving our best guess), then all the more reason to have an SACD (or universal) player because it may be 10 years + before a legitimate amount of music is cut for another hi-rez format. And it will be 10 years plus before SACD fades away (at least) assuming it will.

I don't know but a decade of my life has value. Is there anyone really waiting for another format?
Robm321, I don't agree with you about a 10+ year timeline, and this has never been part of the discussion as far as I'm aware.

I believe we have a disconnect because of semantics here. Let me be clear, and then I'm going to call it a day on this topic.

I'm not debating the necessity for creation of a new Hi Rez recording format. I don't necessarily believe the recording format used to create SACD silver discs - DSD, or whatever it is - is going to fade away, although in time it could be supplanted by a superior method. What I'm specifically referring to is the silver disc delivery method of the DSD recording...the SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc). I believe DSD audio could be, and will be delivered via another, less expensive method , in a very short amount of time...months, and certainly less than a year, and I base my supposition based on the current delivery of HDTV. All that is holding back delivery of DSD audio via broadband is available bandwidth and an apppropriate music file format. You're right, though, this is guesswork on my part. Isn't the bulk of what is being discussed here based on guesswork? Thus far, I have not read a single post written by an expert in marketing, production or delivery of music.

In my view, the SACD silver discs will decline, and eventually disappear as will Redbook CD silver discs, and DVD-A silver discs, and DVD silver discs, especially concerning audio-only recordings. Broadband delivery is the wave of the future, in my opinion. None of us knows how soon the transfer will be completed, but I'm betting it's sooner rather than later. One only has to look at the availability of USB connections on commercially produced DVD machines like those from Denon, and Cary (someone here mentioned the Cary, I believe) to know that even the hardware manufacturers are covering their bases and assisting the consumer with the inevitable transition.

So, to recap; I don't believe DSD recordings, on which SACD silver discs are based, are going away. I do believe production of the discs themselves will decline, as will Redbook CDs and other silver dics. And, I believe delivery of the DSD recordings (or other Hi Rex formats) will be done via broadband methods.

I hope I've made my position clearer.

This is not a Save-The-World discussion. It's been brain massaging entertainment, but it's time for me to change the channnel.

Click.

:)