We Need A Separate Forum for Fuses

LOL, I'll bet I gotcha on that Title! ;)  BTW, I put this thread under "Tech Talk" category as it involves the system physically, not tangentially. 

More seriously, two question survey:

1. Do you think designer fuses are A) a Gift to audiophiles, or B) Snake Oil 

2. Have you ever tried them?  Yes or No

In the tradition of such questions on Agon, I'll weigh in as we go along... 
Feel free to discuss and rant all you wish, but I would like to see clear answers to the questions. :) 
douglas_schroeder
In all matters of what can be heard in systems we cannot discount the influence of hearing loss, ambient room noise, and the level of equipment. That varies across the audiophile universe, so we should expect a certain amount of divergence of opinion on such things as fuses, even among those who have tried. As for those who haven't tried, these variables don't matter. ;) 

niskymichael, interesting that the power fuse held change, but the other signal fuses did not. Have others reported/experienced the same? 
It could be due to the mix of fuse brands that led to niskymichael's results. I've found that different fuses have different sonic effects.

HiFi Tuning fuses tend to accentuate the leading edge of notes at the expense of everything else whilst PADIS fuses, after a long up and down period, tended to dull things a bit. With Brimar fuses, it was like opening that window on all things music.

As for which component gave me the biggest results, it was my SACD player that took a big leap and the integrated, maybe half that, but it was of a different order. The SACD player benefited from a musical stand point and the integrated, a strength stand point.

All the best,
Nonoise
I have to admit being a bit surprised by the mixed effects of the fuses in my Rogue amp as well.  All of the fuses used in that component are Synergistic Research Reds.  I've had personal experience a number of times over the years with how important clean AC power is for good sound.  However, that amp is connected to a Shunyata power conditioner with a Shunyata cable.  I didn't necessarily expect the main power fuse to be the one with the most impact sonically.  I only chose to replace that first because it involved the cost of one fuse vs two...  :)
niskymichael, all the more compelling experiential evidence of fuse efficacy considering it was an amp following a heavy hitting power conditioning component. Doesn't surprise me at all. 

douglas_schroeder OP
In all matters of what can be heard in systems we cannot discount the influence of hearing loss, ambient room noise, and the level of equipment. That varies across the audiophile universe, so we should expect a certain amount of divergence of opinion on such things as fuses, even among those who have tried. As for those who haven’t tried, these variables don’t matter. ;)

>>>>Let me add (1) experience listening to and evaluating tweaks, (2) having mistakes in the system, (3) time of day, weather, (4) not following instructions and (5) use of CDs for the test that are in reverse Polarity, which would be what, about half of them? There is even (6) the spectre of reverse placebo effect, the dreaded nocebo effect, looming in the distance. 😬

An ordinary man has no means of deliverance. - old audiophile saw