CDP Upgrade

I'm thinking of upgrading my source and my wife has given me permission! I currently have the Rotel 1072, which is fine. I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding an upgrade and what I can expect by upgrading.

I'm considering the Cary 308T. But am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
hammergjh
Well, I'm intrigued by the Cary 303/300. Stereophile just did a write up. They liked it, pretty much. Very flexible, tube or SS output stages, plus multiple upsampling combinations.

I might just plunge in for a used one. A little risky. I'm waiting for my yearly bonus to come through (next couple of weeks).
I think the 308 and 308T are now discontinued. Some dealers may have them still, but the used prices are very good $900-1300, SS vs. T.
I have the 308 and love it. I like it better than the 308T, better resolution. The T is musical but I felt it screened out too much info., as did the Jolida tube cdp. The 308 has a very nice soundstage and top end, with great bass.
I felt the same with the 306/300. The SS output into Cary tube amps sounded better than the tube output into SS gear to my ears. It was more involving with better resolution and PRAT.
I like a well designed SS cdp vs. a tube unit. Once the info in the source is lost through tubes softening, it can't be regained. Now other top flight tube cdp's might be different, but the Cary 306/300 sounded better with SS output.
This is my opinion and others will argue differently.
This could be a good subject for a discussion.
Mike
I'm curious what Hammergjh ended up with. Did you get the Cary 303/300 and how are you feeling about it? I myself looked at it and the Cary 308T, as I've decided tubed CDPs for my own system, including the BAT VT5/VT5SE and a few others--Lector 0.6T, Audio Aero Prima Mk II, Unison Research Unico CD, and Blue Note Koala. I've been identifying units with balanced outputs to match up with my Electrocompaniet ECI 3 integrated amp.
i just went from cambridge audio 640c to the cairn fog v2
with upsampling to 192, it sounds fantastic but must say the controls are quirky and not that user friendly. but the sound makes you forget any ergonomic shortfalls.
Mjcmt--How muct detail did you feel was lost with the Cary 308T? I'm very interested in your post a few months ago regarding the Cary 308T v. 303/300. I'm considering the 308T, as my system can be harsh and glarey, even glassy in massed trebles with orchestral and choral music. I'm now looking closely at the 308T and 306/200 (solid state) as potential choices. It seems I cannot get detail and dynamics without sacrificing warmth and getting an edginess in the top end. For detail and dynamics, the Simaudio 5.3 and Equinox were most impressive, but they can be edgy in the trebles. What's your opinion of the 306/200?