Road trip to demo $10,000 speakers

I'm going to take a several hour road trip to the Washington DC/Baltimore area to demo some speakers in the $10,000 range for a once in a lifetime purchase. I plan on listening to some Magico A3's, Aerial Acoustic 7T's, and Spendor D-9's. One of the dealers also has Paradigm Persona 3F's on the floor, so I'll take a listen to them too. While I'm up there are there any other speakers in that price range you'd recommend I try to locate and take a listen to. I'm open to and welcome your suggestions and will take the time to research each one as well.

I'm not in the market for used equipment. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mike

skyscraper

It may seem like a simple, obvious suggestion but: don’t forget to bring a lot of music that you actually listen to. I think it’s tempting for us audiophiles when grabbing music to audition a system to gravitate to the really good recordings/audiophile stuff because we want to see just how good/realistic the system can sound. But are those discs really making up the bulk of your listening?

I learned long ago to bring everything I listen to, from crap to great, to see how the speaker works with the music that I truly love and want to play. The sort of "would I play this in the car" is a sort of marker for the music I want to play just because it’s the music I like, vs sheer sound quality.
if this truly a 'once in a lifetime' purchase....can you squeeze a few more thousand?
i truly  l o v e  the B&W 803
additionally....the Focal Sopra 2 is tuffff to beat.

as mentioned above,  Soundscape in Bmore.
see Ed or his son Justin....
@Skyscraper Please give your impressions after you hear the speakers...I would love to hear your impressions of Aerial 7ts.
I can confirm that Command Performance AV just got the Magico A3 and you can demo it there in their showroom. At Command you can also demo Focal Kanta and Devore (among others)

Visit Evolution AV or IQ to demo the Revel F228Be. Both shops have it available for demo in their showrooms 
If you can find a pair of the Bryston Model T’s to audition, do it before you buy anything. Most people who have listened to them say that nothing under $25K will touch their performance.
I personally had a pair of Bryston Middle T’s for three months, then found a great deal on a used pair of Model T’s which I purchased. I didn’t think anything would be much better than the Middle T’s which are around $6K, however it was worth trying out. But when I set up the Model T’s next to them; I knew within 30 seconds that the Middle T’s were being moved out. Same exact sound and performance characteristics, however the T’s are a massive increase in dynamic output and filled the room like nothing I have experienced.

The bass is just outstanding as is all the other ranges.   Since I have a 10,000 cubic foot space, I wanted to make it even more dynamic; so I had Axiom Audio build me an EP800 dual 12 inch driver sub with a custom designed dual range (switchable 6 db boost in the middle upper mid-bass) and an EP500 single 12 driver sub.  I placed the two subs in null areas of the room (18 foot high vaulted ceiling with a mezzanine level balcony over one side of the room, meaning it is tricky) and all I can say is yes, this is it.   Axiom by the way builds Bryston speakers for Bryston.

The room sounds like a live concert hall with amazing dynamic power.
I would like to point out that Evolution AV was an unusually low-pressure and friendly environment. They, pretty much, left me in the room with iPad (Tidal control), offered to come back once I needed them, and closed the door. It was not abandoning, it was leaving me in peace to do my own thing. I, eventually, did not buy from them (I settled on a different product) but am wholeheartedly praising them and would not think twice to give them my business.

Of note, they were one of those places that had only Tidal ready. Call ahead.
Mike, the time to go to DC to look at speakers would be Nov 2-4th. Capital Fest will be going on and you can look, touch, and listen to a wide range of speakers. While it may not be the ideal situation to audition a pair of speakers it will at least give you a starting point...If you do go you should definitely go and spend time in the Legacy Audio room. Meet Bill and the gang and ask any questions that you might have...If you spend anytime listening to the Legacy speakers I'm betting that you will get bitten by the "Legacy bug"...I'll be there the 2nd thru the 4th maybe I'll see you there... I'll probably be hanging out in the Legacy room, just ask for Charles.

As impractical as it may sound, if you are road-tripping, take your amp with you.  Synergy matters and generally a retailer is going to match up their speakers with electronics that work with those speakers.   So unless your planning on buying the dealer's electronics as well, bring the amp that will actually be driving the speakers.

And, if you have some big-a*s SUV, take your listening room with you as well.   Location, location, location....

Why is there so much used gear for sale?

Because people ask silly questions, listen to countless worthless recommendations and purchase based on them or 10 minute showroom demos in an environment totally unlike their own.

A lot of $10k speakers are a joke. Several mentioned here failed on multiple levels either due to bad design, poor setup or electronic mismatch.

The probability of assembling an SoA system schlepping a bag load of CDs all over the countryside is vanishingly small.

One needs 3 diverse tracks to evaluate a system, assuming one knows for what to listen. Mine:
1. Ruby Baby - Donald Fagan. Original CD.
2. Mornin’ - Al Jarreau. Original CD
3. Underture from Tommy. Original CD
Most don’t make it through 2.

Many newer CDs are vastly inferior to the original release. They are digitally processed copies of poor transfers or digitally processed multiple times. Ditto tracks on Tidal. Ditto some audiophile CDs.

Never forget we are building a system. All the research in the world is not worth a 30s listen.

IF the OP is serious, he should make appointments for a system in his total price and parameter range [ total DoReMi, speaker size, integrated/separates, CD/streamer, etc.]. The system should be properly setup as best the shop can make it. The room should be of similar size, layout and treatment to the OPs. If a shop is unwilling to do this for a $40k+ [assuming reasonable system dollar apportionment for $10k speaker] sale, move on. Accept no apologies as to why the sound is sh.tty. Just leave.

IF the OP finds something, he should get an in-home evaluation. Expect to pay return shipping.

Everything else is just wa…..

Hi skyscraper,

I had  Dahlquist DQ10's and ended up trading up to Vandersteen's 1C. When I secured the Vandersteens I fell into a pair of Conrad Johnson MV 52 Amps with A CJ Evolution 20 pre amp all of which I bi amped into the Vandersteen's. It was a great sound. But after a while I rolled into a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona. The originals designed by Serblin.  I still have them today and have changed my view on how I approach upgrades to my system overall. This said if I were to make a change in my speakers, for a little more - but last investment,  I would say definitely check out :

Devore Fidelity - Gibbon X for New
but highly Recommend Silverbacks - discontinued if you can fin find. 

http://www.devorefidelity.com/ 

Prof, good point and I will be doing just that.

Googoogjoob. trust i've already squeezed out a few more thousand than I should with the $10,000 mark. 

Jeffersondavis, will do. The Aerial 7t's are high on my list for their small footprint alone, along with excellent reviews. 

Thyname, thanks for the heads up on what speakers the stores you mention carry.. That info goes on my spreadsheet.

Slimpikins5, Ill search out a location to hear the Bryston Model T and do some research on them. I've got a 16 foot high vaulted ceiling in my listening room to deal with and have to have the speakers fairly close to the walls too as a limiting factor. 

Glupson, appreciate the heads up on Evolution AV's service.

Charles, I'm very likely to go to the Capitalfest and will ask for you at the Legacy Room if I do. Thanks for the friendly invite.

Co93, good idea to bring my own amp/preamp but I will be retiring them once the speakers and my new turntable are paid off.

Ieales, I'll find those three recordings you suggest and appreciate your candor. I would prefer to listen to vinyl records,at demos, as that is what I have for the most part, although I will tote along some CD's. You seem to be a pretty forthright person. What are some $10,000 speakers would you personally recommend at that price point, and if you want to be even more candid, which of those recommended.above wouldn't make it through your listening test. $10.000 dollars is a significant sum of money for me out of my life savings so I'd appreciate your honest recommend on exact models. Please, be blunt and don't be shy with your specific recommendations. I'd like to hear what you think

I wish I could afford to spend $40,000 at one shot to get a well matched system I could demo at home and have dealers close enough to loan equipment for me to demo at home. There are trade-offs for not living near NYC anymore and not having that type of availbilty is one I have to work around. My first trip(s) will be to rule in the contenders for further listening.and rule out the others. 

I've got my turntatble/cartridge already, as aforementioned, and am trying to match speakers to them as well as possible, having to forgo the electronics to a later date. I will be researching what preamp/amps are recommended to match up well with each speaker demoed during the final cut. I thought about contacting the manufacturers for their recommends in this regard. I read were Magico liked some particular Scandanavian integrated amp to go along with their A3's for example.

I'll try to get speakers matched with equivalent valued equipment. I'm curious to how you would allot your resources if spending $40,000 total.

Ggc, the Devores you recommend are now on the list.

I also recommend Martin Logan  Impression ESL 11A at 10,000$.

It is very attractive speaker with beautiful high and good soundstage.

If you go to its homepage, you can find dealers around Washington DC

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/dealers
skyscraper
I am looking forward in reading more about your Audio journey.Baltimore MD is a magical place for such things. I started my Audio journey in that city and it really set the pace for greater events in my life.
Happy Listening!
skyscraper,

These days, you can live smack in the middle of Manhattan and it won’t help you much when picking equipment. Hard to find a walk-in store, to begin with. In fact, it seems to me that Washington, DC area is much better in that sense.

Let us know how you progress and what you eventually settle on. All of us here are curious and virtually playing...with your money.

Charles, I am not sure if you are related to Legacy, but you did an excellent job and I will make sure not to miss their room.
I’d appreciate your honest recommend on exact models
skyscraper, I could not presume. I know next to nothing about your environment, level you listen, range of programme AND your particular peccadillos.

For example, minimum phase error from sub 30Hz up is ne plus ultra for yhs. Accurate sound staging, rock solid focus that does not wander, accurate hall delineation, merciless exposure of recording engineer gimcrackery, proper vertical height and location. See http://www.ieLogical.com/Audio and read the Audio pages under PASSIONS menu.

Many models recommended here fail miserably in that regard. Multiple woofer/mid drivers and mid & tweeters on a flat baffle fail impossibly on that metric. Ported systems have horrible low end phase coherence.

Since retiring, I’ve made several road trips having avoided HiFi Dens for 15 years. I have a friend with an amazing B&W 803 D3 system north of $250k. No dealer had a pair setup that came anywhere near exhibiting their potential.

One loudspeaker mentioned has a "perforated phase-aligning lens" over mid and tweet. The $12.5k model failed miserably on phase coherence, sound stage and imaging.

Another $8k 2-way had the kick image smeared along a front to back slope. The point was in front of the speakers and the heft behind and out of phase! Vocal was an indistinct cloud. I recorded and mixed ref #2 above and have listened to it for 35 years.

Many here will poo-poo my modest system. It fails not on my parameters because has been assembled with specific goals.

My recommendation would be to have the ’squids rebuilt, get some great electronics that mate them well and match your bias. Decent cables would be nice. So would a pair of good subs - NOT PORTED!!! See http://www.ielogical.com/Audio/SubTerrBlues.php for trials and tribulations of sub integration.

Bonne chance!
Skyscraper.

I have Janszen zA2.1 hybrid electrostats with Linear Tube Audio amp and pre driving them. Worth a listen, trust me.

Also, what are the dimensions of your listening room?

Lance
Shkong78, Ive added the Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A’s to the spreadsheet. Thanks.for the link too.

Jafant, glad to hear you had such good results from you search and afterwards. That’s encouraging. Any audio stores in Baltimore you particularly like or have had good experiences with.

Glupson, You’re so right about how the NYC retail scene has changed,since the advent of the internet especially, Brick and mortar of all sorts has been disappearing at an alarming rate, not just audio outlets. When my wife was still alive we tried to go to the Garment District to find some drapery material, only to find most of the fabric stores had disappeared. It was shocking. I miss all the old record stores/outlets too.

Ieales. Sorry you wouldn’t presume to make recommends or at least point out some speakers you found lacking without more info. My listening room is approximately 13 feet by 22 feet with a cathedral ceilng that goes up to maybe 15 feet from the floor on a 12/12 pitch, centered on the short walls Picture how a five year old might draw a house and you got the configuration. The two side and the back walls are lined with book shelves as the room doubles as a library. The room has three dormer windows on the back wall, one centered and the others equidistant and eight feet apart with 2 foot by 7 foot long "corridor" leading to them on that wall. Have oak floors, speakers will go on the front long wall,

I like to listen to 1950’s jazz, think Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, etc, Actually everything, other than Ornette Coleman type free form, from Ellington, then Charlie Parker on through to Weather Report. Dating myself, I love late sixties rock and roll groups, and R&B artists, everything from the earliest rock and roll and doo wop up through punk. Think Stones,Joplin, Hendrix, Aretha etc., through Bowie and the Clash. I like fifties rock and roll, and blues too. I have some classical and other material and world music, though not lots. I listen to music at moderate sound levels usually, picture maybe a bit more loudly than you might typically listen to TV. I like a clean sound where I can hear all the detail and the speaker disappear. Muddy and poor source material I find irritating.

You obviously are well versed in this area, way more than me, so I’m trying to squeeze some more direction out of you or at least some speakers you’d avoid or don’t meet your parameters. And by the way what are ’squids?

Twoch, I’ve always had way to many questions for that approach, and way too little expertise to be making sound decisions. I know just about enough to be dangerous especially after a forty year layoff in stereo equipment research and purchasing.

Lancelock, Thanks for the Janzen electrostatic recommend. I’ll keep an eye out. I listed my room dimensions just above in my response to ieales. Thank you for your interest and asking.

Thanks again all.

Mike

skyscraper,
We have somewhat similar spaces and taste. Additionally, I have a penchant for classical and opera. My room is a bit larger with bamboo flooring and several large thick wool area rugs.

Since Heyser in the early 70's my mantra has been "It's not the frequency. It's the time." Sadly the trade rags never focused much on it and once valid publications have devolved into manufacturer cheering sections. Consequently, most of the public is ignorant of phase defects and proper solutions are labor intensive and tend to be 'unconventional'

I loved Quad ESL but limited level and frequency response at both ends disqualified them. Dayton-Wrights were sonically great, of questionable longevity and ZERO WAF.

DQ-10's were my first phased speakers. I mirror-imaged them and modified the XOver to adjust low end response as I had them on stands.
In the mid-70s, 'squids were about $1k. Adjusted for inflation, about $3500 today. Admittedly, the 'squids were little more than utility build and many of today's are gorgeous. However, I'm not buying furniture. Many 3- & 4-way systems have egregiously worse phase response than a $1k 2-way. They go lower and may play louder but for fail miserably on image specificity.

If I still owned DQ-10s, I'd rebuild / have them rebuilt. See http://www.regnar.com/dahlquist-dq-10-speaker-parts.html Replacement of electrolytic and mylar caps with polypropylene will astound. I'd probably add a DQ-89w or two. See http://www.regnar.com/dq-89w-powered-subwoofer-features.html

I cannot listen to MP3s on my system due to nebulous image gallivanting. Any system where any instrument or voice moves regardless of program complexity is disqualified. Listening to uncompressed source in demos of Magico, Focal, Paradigm, KEF and others suffer these defects in multiple salons, so I conclude the defects are natal.

Reticent as I am to recommend, were I to require loudspeakers I'd hear Vandersteens, [see https://vandersteen.com/support/faqs/ and http://greenmountainaudio.com/speaker-time-phase-coherence/ for decent comments on time and phase], Wilson, some B&W, Carver ALS, Magnepan, Martin Logan. There are certainly others. Not sure I would own large planars again, but I would have to hear them. Others with varying parameter requirements will surely howl in protest.

Were I in the market, I might start here: Kii Three https://www.kiiaudio.com/for_home.php sold in the US at GTT Audio https://gttaudio.com/ and reviewed here https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker.

Be very sceptical of manufacturer claims. Many are just plain flat out wrong from an electrical perspective. For example some tout first order slopes for summing. However, that is only valid with drivers that perform identically for at least a couple of octaves above and below the xo frequency AND have physically aligned drivers. Vertical flat baffle? Fogedaboudit!

IMO, the whole small footprint, multi woofer tower on a vertical baffle is fundamentally wrong unless every driver has DSP control AND sophiticated alignment equipment. Ditto vertically mirrored drivers.

Sadly, most forum recommendations are fan-boy ravings, some even by those who don't possess, just lust.

I have Gamut M7 that certainly put all the anterior mentioned to shame. Including the Kantas that wasn't what I expected at all. Gamut M series was replaced with S series buy only for business purposes because the M series was to expensive to built and the profits were not high at 18k. They named RS series and double the price.
Good luck 
I have one suggestion. Bring paper and pen to make notes on speakers, amps, preamps, sources and your thoughts about each audition. 
ieales,

Reading your two posts above is humbling and relieving at the same time. I would dare to say that most of us have not even close to as much understanding of technical details as you do. I, personally, can be described just as skyscraper described himself. Enough knowledge to be dangerous. That was the humbling part, accepting reality that I am clueless.

Relieving part was that, despite the black hole of ignorance, I function on the simple level. "I hear it, I like it, here is my credit card." If I knew all you do, it would drive me crazy. To understand that I am buying something so imperfect would be a torture. Like this, I walk out satisfied. Ignorance is bliss, as they say, and, apparently, there are many blessed ones here.

"However, I’m not buying furniture."
You surely are a hard-core enthusiast. Many speakers are bigger than some of the furniture in the room they are placed in so they are hard to ignore. Once you do not care about that, you have really arrived. Consider yourself lucky.

Some other threads mentioned Boenicke. I looked it up and remebered that I heard the small W5 at a show and they impressed me. You might want to listen to their W11 or W8 floorstanders.
@skyscraper , since you listen mostly to jazz I would also suggest that you listen to Focal Kanta 2. I heard them with an acoustic piece and it was very suitable for them.
If you are spending 10k. listen to the Mac  XR100’s. I’m very pleased with mine 
Martin Logan’s were a close 2nd.   Listen to music you know and choose what sounds best...  & try to have similar source. as your amp / preamp  etc. 
Good Luck 
Ieales, thank you so much for sharing your expertise, and the links and recommendations provided. They will help provide direction.

I have considered sending my DQ-10s to Regnar to be rebuilt and have spoken to them twice, including inquiring about the DQ-89W’s. I finally decided that constantly doing repairs and upgrades on forty plus year old equipment is fighting a losing battle. Parts availability and no experience doing electronics repair myself are limiting factors. If I have to take apart and fix my aesthetically pleasing old Bang and Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable one more time, I think I’ll scream. It’s time to bite the bullet and start anew. Time marches on whether we like it or not.

I’ll research all your links and will heed your advice and warnings.

Mountainsong, thank you for your recommendation on the Gamut. I never heard of that one either.

Jetson, Good advice on taking notes. I’m planning on doing exactly that.

Headphonedreams, I’ve added the Boenicke’s to the list. There are apparently an endless supply of $10,000 loudspeakers out there I’ve never heard of. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mac1523 your suggestions on the Mac XR100’s and Martin Logans are now on the list too.

Appreciate everyone’s guidance. With all the hurricane induced rain today might be a good day to organize all your suggestions and recommendation on speakers and listening locations. I’ve learned a lot already from all your help.

Would somewhat please clue me in on what the audio term "squids" denotes. I tried googling it but only found overly technical, or aquatic explanations. Thanks,

Michael.

From the context, I would guess that "squids" are Dahlquist speakers. Just a guess.
Well that’s a nice and exciting trip, but I know it is also usually sprinkled with some anxiety about making the right choice. The best advice I can give is use your ears, your heart and your soul first...that’s what music is all about. Dont let marketing and salesmen choose for you. The speakers are the most important choice since it’s the only component that will emit sound and probably the one with which you have or will have the more intimate connection.
That said, I dont want to play the salesman and would say listen to as many as you can, and look also carefully at the implementation and the room to compare. So many good speakers can be so badly implemented...
The ones I would add here are Sonus Faber, Tannoy, Piega, Proac, deVore, Harbeth for a few. I own several speakers over 10K and also over 30K, and the best speakers below 10K which I have personally heard, compared and ultimately purchased are the XTZ Divine Alpha. I put them at least on par with the BW800D3. Plays well in small rooms as well, with tuning possibilities, but not sure if and where you can demo them in US though...
Remember, the best speaker doesn't have the best highs, or lows, or mids, or definition, it has the best compromise of everything that makes listening always a pleasure.
Finally, should you find the ones that speak to you but you're just not sure because bass is lacking, well subwoofers can be added later for your near total and perfect pleasure, and it's not against the religion.
All the best! Hit the road Jack

Post removed 
Yes, the XTZ looks very intriguing, but not much of a US presence that I can find.  I can't find a US phone number on their US Store page to call and speak with someone.  Also, the Alpha is shown to be out of stock.  And the 30-Day Buy and Try option is not active in the USA.  Oh, well...

@ieales I interpreted your post to mean you recorded and mixed Al J...well that is astounding....I set about building my own digital and analog rack to push myself , learn but also know what the feeds sound like....keeps me from chasing my tail....Ruby is certainly great also....
I am a Vandersteen fanboy...since 1977 chasing time and phase and doing it scientifically.....but again I own and listen to other gear, including panels.....including the vaunted “ squids”as you call them!

Mike the OP - i think you will find your room sounds better than most...get some natural diffration in those book shelves, rugs, java tables, art, etc..most audiophile dedicated rooms are sterile beyond belief including the forest of reflective gear planted between speakers and a barrier to actually using the turntable...

i think you should add The Vandersteen Treo CT to your list, yes I do own them, so factor that in...
might I suggest you keep the DQ 10 also...persue a slow do it your self to learn rebuild program..start w caps and ridding yourself of the Piezo honker, go from there....every now and then sub them in to your system and learn to listen critically vs whatever it is you settle in on

my two cents..

have fun
I interpreted your post to mean you recorded and mixed Al J
yes

...since 1977 chasing time and phase and doing it scientifically...
As were recording studios. Our large monitors were designed for the room, set and aligned with precision that would make most audiophiles envious. Ditto small monitors on stands to orient in 3d. Phase and time aligned for the best imaging. Coherence was king.

And manufacturers. Deane Jensen transformers and mic pre’s using them designed for minimum group delay. Rupert Neve, George Massenberg, Roger Nichols, Alan Sides et al all trying to bring the same sound to both sides of the glass.

For the technically inclined, this was interesting reading. It’s a 14-part series on designing a recording console from the early 80’s. http://www.vintagewindings.com/gen%20pop/8299543VW8335/ProAudio1/Steve%20Dove%20Console%20Design.pdf

Most systems totally destroy the imaging and layering crafted into the mixes. Some denigrate pop recordings because they are not the same as an acoustic live performance. They were never intended to be!! Any system that can unravel the references mentioned can handle ANY other program be it opera, full orchestra, mono 40’s big band, acoustic anything with aplomb.

Salesmen, reviewers and audiophiles blather on about balance, focus, imaging never having heard a system that can reproduce what’s actually on the disc.

Most playback is so unbelievably and egregiously incoherent as to be unlistenable. The brain can easily adjust for frequency anomalies but it has no delay lane or early machine to time align the foot’s point* with the heft* when they arrive asynchronously.
* point is beater hitting head and heft is the ’weight’ of the sound of a kick drum. We often took the front head off and stuffed the bottom with a packing blanket to achieve the desired sonics. Selected mic placed [angle and distance] with precision rivalling cartridge alignment. Different drummer, drum, head, studio all required specific mic and treatment. Good systems easily delineate the differences.

...most audiophile dedicated rooms are sterile beyond belief including the forest of reflective gear planted between speakers and a barrier to actually using the turntable...
a-effing-men!

Jon Dalhquist knew that It’s not the frequency. It’s the time!

I was at axpona in march and I was looking to spend about $10k on speakers I mean why not? the banks giving .1% on my money, well that lame a$$ excuse was enough to get my wife on board. I didn't care for most of the big speakers in the hotel rooms and loved the little 2 ways. My 3 make that 4 favorite rooms were Neat acoustics, fugly little things that sound musical, Magnepan and Carver also sounded good in the small rooms and the little $20,000 Raidho was amazing. I ended up buying a pair of Revel Salon2's used but they need power and room to breathe. I believe when we get up to $5k with speakers the listening room becomes the most significant factor in how a system is going to sound and that's why I buy used. What happens if after spending 3 days listening to the best on offer you pull the trigger on a pair and they don't jel with your room? I guarantee the salesman will say they need time to break in. Once you pick the speakers you like GET an in home demo!
I know you stated that you're not in the market for used speakers. Is there a particular reason for this? If your budget is 10,000 dollars, you could score a GREAT pair of $30,000 speakers. I saw a pair of Monitor Audio speakers a dealer wanted $12,000.00 for. Would they not work? Just curious.  They were less than three years old. Joe
Glupson, you  could correct as to what "squids" means.

Hddg, thanks for the listening room advice and I'll add your speaker model suggestions to the list. I'm up to about thirty models to check out now. Good grief. I never heard of the XTZ Divine Alphas before. The name is certainly original

Dweller, Hoochie Mama? That might be another good speaker model name.

Mtret, if you come across some Divine Alphas let me know,

Tomic 601, hope you're correct about my listening space. And great advice to hang on to my DQ 10's to play around with learning how to do upgrades. I've been dreaming about building the stands for them, mirror imaging and, replacing the old caps  and piezo tweeter for years. I'll put the DQ's out in my new 24' by 40' woodworking shop when its built. Great idea, And I've added the Vandersteen Treo CT to my "must hear" short list. Thanks.

Passet02, consider it done.

Ieales, thanks again for you input, and putting in a kind word on John Dahlquist the designer of my DQ 10's. I remember reading up on his "phased arrays" back in the 1970's not fully understanding what he was trying to accomplish then, but have enjoyed the results of his approach these many years.

Steve59, great idea to get an in home demo. I only wish it were possible out here in the middle of nowhere.

Mike

"Most playback is so unbelievably and egregiously incoherent as to be unlistenable."
This is puzzling, to say the least. Millions of people listen to their AirPhones daily and have no complaint. We all may have different expectations.
Yeah, this is condescending nonsense with gross exaggerations. I attended a lot of various live performances and don't need lessons in listening and hearing.
A "live performance" only counts if it is unamplified. Otherwise, depending on equipment and skill of the sound engineer, the results can be from awesome to gawd awful.

In an acoustic live performance, instruments are easily localized, focused and have the appropriate scale. Sections do not expand and contract or perambulate. If one listens to MP3, that is exactly what happens due to phase errors. This should not happen with uncompressed program but all too often does. The denser the material the more confused it becomes.

People drink CharBux, but it's an extremely poor excuse for coffee.

As my dear old Nan was wont to say, "There's no accounting for taste"
Joe, The only reason I don't want used, is that speakers, like used cars, may have been abused or damaged, and potential defects may be hidden to the untrained eye or expensive to repair later on. I've had enough problems over the years with my own well cared for stereo equipment to not want the experience of dealing with someone else's equipment if I'm not sure of how they treated theirs.

Having to deal with repairs I don't know how to do is one of the reason's I'm replacing my own vintage equipment. Learning how to do basic repairs on my B&O turntable because nobody locally could do them, was a stess I don't wish to repeat. I've got enough time consuming repair or maintenance work to do around here on things I do know how to do. I would like to learn about electronics, but probably won't ever get around to it. 

Glupson, Sorry for the typo. Above, when you replied about "squids" I meant to say "You could be correct....... For some reason you can't correct typos on this site if you don't catch them right away. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Inna4,  be nice.

Ieales, thanks again for your input.

well with a decent wood working shop you can build your own diffusers in exotic woods...I love the look of RPG..
your room will be better than 90% out there because of the ceilings...check out Rudy Van Gelders studio.......
what state are you in ?
Thank you for the courtesy of replying to everyone's questions and comments. That makes you a gentleman and a great Agoner! Good luck in your quest. Joe
Tomic601, I am in Virgina, just north of Roanoke, a few hours southwest of Washington DC. I am looking forward to building stands for my DQ10’s if nothing else. I couldn’t afford them along with the DQ10’s, back in my 20’s. I do have to figure out what kind of wood, likely not exotic, they used on their side panels in order to match it on the stands. I have a vague, but unlikely, memory it might have been pecan

I’ll look up Rudy Von Gelders studio as you suggest, I’ve a number of recordings he engineered. That’ll be interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joe, kind of you to say. Thank you. And I probably will be needing some luck making a determination considering the number of recommendations provided here. Great site and members. I’m very pleased with the helpful content and number of responses received.

Mike

Yes, years ago I visited the guy in Uptown Audio when he still had his last shop, before he moved his business into his home, which is I imagine where you went.

That's why I was trying to suggest specific stores and models, approaching DC from the southwest (rather than just throwing out lots of names of speaker brands).  Gifted Lister is the first stop, and after that it's a toss up between Deja Vu (don't be deterred by the industrial estate), Evolution (haven't been there since they moved), and Command Performance (again a strange semi-subterranean building, but there's a convenient parking lot).

After that you might consider JS Audio, though my experience there wasn't great.  North of DC I haven't explored.  But as well as the Baltimore area you might consider Delaware, where there are a couple of good stores with interesting makes.

@OP,
I can understand your reluctance regarding used speakers, but since gettting back in the game after a 25 year hiatus, just about all my equipment has been bought used-including speakers. And, I have never had an issue with damaged equipment.
Just ask a lot of questions and get a feel of the seller. -Is he a serious audiophile or just someone who trades equipment?
From my experience, most sellers on Agon will let you audition their equipment if you are local.
B
i would also encourage you to head South and visit Alan at HiFi Buys in Atlanta......
Mike, I have to second the above post. At the price we're shopping in even if you had a dealer nearby they're not crazy about shlepping $10k speakers to listeners homes unless they're more than a little confident of a sale. It was the reason I bought the salon2's used, even if I could hear them in a dealers showroom there's still no guarantee they'll sound the same at home. Example; My first 'audiophile' speakers were Kef R 105/3's that sounded like nothing I ever heard before I was shaking with desire and I bought them got them home and they were sibilant and bass shy, I call dealer and say whats up? and they tell me they just need time to break in and they'll sound like the demo's did. Well it took 10 years and thousands of dollars to get them to sound like they did that magical day and I was miserable in between. No shame in buying used then either way sell them after a month if you loved them go ahead and buy the pair new, if not move to the next speaker you enjoyed demoing.