Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
Post removed 
@mkgus: "Just so we’re on the same page, just because there is no plausible explanation doesn’t mean the effect doesn’t exist."

I agree completely.

But lack of a plausible explanation remains a valid reason for questioning the effect. Especially since among observers there is no consensus. So the sky analogy would be more appropriate if you included than some people found it to be a different shade of blue that many if not most people could not see. In that regard lack of plausible explanation takes on more power as a defeater. Not proof, as you say, but still reasonable evidence.

The paradox is that at some level we are talking about a technical phenomenon with no good technical explanation. That is yet another reason to question the effect.
The paradox is that at some level we are talking about a technical phenomenon with no good technical explanation. That is yet another reason to question the effect.

Indeed, it is a reason to question the phenomenon. It is also a reason to keep investigating if you believe something is going on as many believe to be the case.

I’m surprised this is still a big question mark? Why hasn’t this been solved yet? I keep getting drawn back to the 3 basic properties of wires: resistance, inductance and capacitance. Can these three alone not explain the effect fully? I’m guessing not because if it were that simple, then surely someone would have shown it to be the case already - perhaps a cable manufacturer. This would be a very simple test one could do at home with some test equipment: relate R, L and C to the “sound” of power cables.

Assuming the phenomenon can’t be fully explained by the values of resistance, inductance and capacitance, I’m left to wonder if we are measuring the right properties. Are there other properties that need measurement? Do any of the R, L and C values change dynamically along with electron flow or are they fixed at all times?
N80, I am done with prof and analogluvr, as they are no longer worth my time. I indicated that I did not like the cables in your system, because somewhere, I remember reading you mentioning the brand " Transparent ", I do not like the sound of that brand’s cables ( speaker, interconnect and power cables ). If I spoke out of line about that, I apologize. If in fact, you have after market cables ( heavier and beefier than just the computer cables I mentioned you might have lying around, I still feel it would be worth it to exchange them out, and, not for me, or anyone else. Just to see if you can hear a difference. You do not need to dissect it further as to which you prefer, just that a difference might be audible to you, or not. My biggest gripe with " those folks " who are against these differences are ( 1 ) If they never tried a different cable or ( 2 ) They tried a different cable and did not hear a difference, and then claim that these differences do not exist. I also do not believe that it is impossible for some people to believe I am an expert in this field ( the listening side ), and have such a hard time with it. My ears are likely no better than others, but my time and experience in the field has allowed me to train myself to hear very minute differences amongst all related items in audio. Keep in mind, also, that there are quite a few of me out there, as I know others. Some right here on the ’Gon. * A good friend of mine is a retired sheriff, has a huge gun collection, and teaches at a shooting range. I consider him an expert in the field of hand guns. I am clueless about guns. I have another buddy who is into automobiles ( such as yourself). He builds, and rebuilds, and rebuilds. I consider him an expert in his particular field of automobiles. He can do a mod on a suspension, or an engine, take me for a ride, and ask me if I feel a difference. Never have. Just putting this out there. I have no interest in guns; I have no interest in vehicles ( I drive a 2018 CRV Touring ). These two buddies come to me as their audio guru ( many do ). And they both spend much more money on audio than I do. I do not like making enemies, and I am pretty much an easy going guy. But, I do know what is real, " to my ears ", and anyone who says I am imagining it, well, we will go our separate ways and be done with it. As I have said to you before, in the 6 months you have been here, you have had much to say, that I find enjoyable to read. After all, it is all about the music. Never hard feelings, especially when in this hobby, and enjoyable pastime. Enjoy ! MrD.
mkgus

Assuming the phenomenon can’t be fully explained by the values of resistance, inductance and capacitance, I’m left to wonder if we are measuring the right properties. Are there other properties that need measurement? Do any of the R, L and C values change dynamically along with electron flow or are they fixed at all times?

>>>>>As much as I hate to nitpick, electrons are not (rpt not) flowing. Carry on. Smoke if ya got em.

“If I could explain it to the average person they wouldn’t have given me the Nobel prize.”