Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
Simao:

That is an Interesting article by Blake. I would say the root cause of all the Cultural losses suffered by black people, was the civil rights movement / Great Society. In order to gain a lot, they gave up a lot. Not deliberate, or by choice, it's just the way societies work.

Where is the great R&B music? It suffered the same fate as the great black Boxers and Jazz players and Blues players and Gospel singers and Writers and Preachers / Churches /Teachers / Schools / sense of community / etc...... They were the price paid for assimilation into the American Mass.

Now they can be just as ordinary and average and uninspiring and boring and untalented as anyone else. They have achieved equality.
They have arrived!

Cheers

The best latest example: The super Bowl Half-Time show. I forgot it before it was even over.
Wow.
That's the kind of logic that gets the Heritage Foundation in trouble.
Coach a bias in something resembling academia and you can feel better saying it.

All the best,
Nonoise
IMO, people are forgetting that a lot of the music during the 60's also "sucked" and the rate of "suckage" is probably no greater today than in yesteryear. It's just that the better music stands the test of time and continues to be enjoyed while the lesser quality music falls away...I do recall that the 1960's gave us the musical stylings of Herman's Hermits, Bobby Goldsboro and Tiny Tim, all of which were popular in the day.

As I get, ahem, more 'mature', I find myself more open to all kinds of music. I'd hate to miss out on some of the great new music by restricting myself to the music of a bygone era...my $.02.
I don't think there will ever be a time when kids and old codgers agree on which music is good and which sucks.

Better to avoid the term "sucks" altogether. "Not my cup of tea" is probably a more accurate assessment and also happens to sound a lot better.