Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
jafant,

Ellington HiFi is listed on the Lyngdorf’s dealer page and was also recommended to me by a couple of long distance Audiogon friends.
I live in Oklahoma but if I’m ever down south I wouldn’t hesitate to visit Tony and listen to some music and I agree he’s one of the very best dealers I’ve ever done business with.

grannyring,

Yes that is some outstanding service,please keep us updated on the fix.

Kenny.
Lyngdorf came through and I did receive a brand new display board. Very good of them. Much impressed with their customer service.

kdude66

excellent thread my Man. How did you and the other guys here find Ellington HiFi, especially, those of you outside Alabama? Tony is a good friend and has a nice room for auditioning gear.

Happy Listening!

Bullitt5094

No kidding!
You can tell who wears the pant in my house!
Seriously it is a Florida/Sun room.
The opening from the main house is two huge sets of glass sliding doors which take up one wall then 3 walls of 3/4 height glass windows.
Tiled floor, Vaulted ceiling so it gets a sloping roof for rain.
Now I do have wooden blinds on every external glass wall, huge thick floor rug and 3 large squishy sofas to help out with the audio.
Speakers are on maple block stands.
All in all it is not as terrible as it could be
But the 2170 was a huge break through and will be here for a while until the next best thing shows up....like a new house!
Try 4 walls of glass and a tiled floor and a vaulted ceiling!
Good grief! Audiophiles should not live in glass houses. I'm surprised the 2170 didn't wave the white flag and give up.
mofojo

You and me both on the room
Try 4 walls of glass and a tiled floor and a vaulted ceiling!
No wonder I found this amp to be a godsend and ended up with over 30% correction, thats how bad my room is!
I guess it probably depends on the speaker and amount of correction that is being applied. I am now getting 18% correction for Focus position. Not sure if this is in the ballpark or not to what others are getting. Bypass in my system sounds kinda distant, loose, and undefined compared to Focus and to a lessor extent global. In my room I couldn't imagine anyone picking bypass as the preferred mode. Of course as I mentioned I have a fairly bad room. 
@bullitt5094
It was a joke..lol. I think sometimes things get too personal and serious here on the Agon.

Have your tried a very minimal RP reading. Like lower than 90%?
See if its possible to get a reading in the 70's or 80's.
I think the technology in the Tektons seem to make the Room Perfect obsolete lol?
I would love to think that. But those are fight'n words for some on Agon. We did a lot of playing with tuning the room. I would like to think that made a big difference. Maybe we got it right! Some think the Ulfs need to be in a freaking auditorium to sound good. Total BS.

Agreed @kdude66 It just puts out great signals all on it's own.
You just have to use what sounds best in your system,I’ve run into a few Europeans that like Bypass mode with no correction at all.

It’s a good thing that the Lyngdorf products allow this IMO.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
@bullitt5094 

I think the technology in the Tektons seem to make the Room Perfect obsolete lol?
Yep. I'm likely the only one on here that doesn't use the correction. When I run correction it seemingly only makes only minor changes. And the changes it does make don't sound as good to me. I assumed it would at least help imaging, but it actually doesn't image as well in any correction mode. And I've tried various numbers of samplings, and all the other recommendations. Bypass just always seem to work best. And I've noticed a slight difference in output level between corrected and bypass. I've leveled that in the comparisons. So that isn't a factor. In my set-up my Ulfs are relatively near the walls/corner. I really thought correction would help because of that. But the imaging is pretty spectacular as-is. It actually startles people at times. The new GRing cables are even improving on that. Especially the image depth.
It just sounds broken going from bypass to focus. It’s pretty amazing imo.
Are you saying it sounds "broken" in Bypass or Focus?
Well couple hundred hour shift in the 2170 now. Ran room perfect probably 10 different times with different crossover settings, Speaker positions etc. Best I found was running the DIs full range in the position that sounded best before and setting the JL sub to 55hz.

It just sounds broken going from bypass to focus. It’s pretty amazing imo. 

On a side note some recordings that are voiced hot benefit from the soft voicing. Doesn’t sound soft just takes a tiny bit of bite off. neutral sounds best on most things. Anyone know if you can create customs eq and upload via usb? 

Thanks

@grey9hound This is the first Ulf center he’s made. I don’t know if it will be a standard product or not. I guess most people don’t use the Ulfs for HT since they are so large. They make my 804s look like bookshelf speakers. And I use to think they were big.
@kdude I am no where near catching you. I'm really close to reaching a plateau though. When I get the HDPlex LPS in my media server and grannyring mods my teradaks, I'm going to leave it alone for a while.
@grannyring, the cables are sounding great after burning overnight. If this is what the Lush sound like, I can understand their popularity.

@bullitt5094
  The one he’s making for me will use the Ulf drivers so it will be voiced the same as my Ulf mains. Eric seems to think it will work well with a single 7 tweeter array and two mids. We initially discussed 4 mids. I don’t know about better or ultimate

I understand . I guess that he just doesn't show that one on the site .
It makes sense though to use the same mids and tweeter as the Ulf for the same voicing. LMK what you think of it .
Maybe a little late to the party. I hate to bash in general and especially w/ the low number of posts, but thought I'd also share that I had a poor experience with who I believe is the owner of Hi-Fi Heaven. I dealt with 3 different people, 2 of which were great and provided friendly customer service and last not so much. I also must agree that they were very generous on the trade in value that I received on a pair of speakers, amp and a sub. To spare you all the details I received my 2170 with the volume issue out of the box. I played very nice and patient IMO. Finally, after feeling like I was being taken advantage of, I called and used my adult voice to get things moving. I don't remember all the dates and don't want it to appear worst than it was, but it was well over a month (6 weeks if I remember correctly) from the time that I notified the store of the issue to having a properly working 2170 back in house. So, I do believe those of you that have had less than ideal dealings w the above mentioned person and also am glad to hear that others had positive interactions.
The one he’s making for me will use the Ulf drivers so it will be voiced the same as my Ulf mains. Eric seems to think it will work well with a single 7 tweeter array and two mids. We initially discussed 4 mids. I don’t know about better or ultimate. It just matches the voicing of the mains just as yours does. I’m still a bit concerned that the center will be powered by Denon receiver and the mains by the 2170 in HT Pass-through mode when movie watching. But I’m not that concerned about it. Should be fine. I’ll be happy to just get down to three speakers round my screen instead of the current 5 that are cluttering up things now.
Wow is the ULF center different than the oversized double impact center channel  , or the one I have ?
I need pics or specs.
I am jealous .
I thought I had the Ultimate Center ... The Best
And you said you can’t keep up with me.
Peter Pan is the upgrading man.

I found that the Gr usb cables only need about 100 hrs or slightly less to be at their best,so keep them playing and us updated.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
I got a call from Eric a few days ago. I am suppose to have my Ulf center by the end of the month. I'm currently still using my 804s and HTM1 for my surround/Home Theater application. When the Ulf center arrives I can then remove the B&Ws from the Home Theater and use the Tekton system for movies as well as 2 channel. I'm really looking forward to that.
@bullitt5094

I had the three tweeter, two mid driver version of the DI Center for a while. It worked really well. Better than my
B&W HTM1. Which shouldn’t be a surprise at this point. But I’m sure 2X times the drivers certainly gets the job

The Double Impact oversized center is Really Good.
Eric actually calls it the Ultimate Center Channel .IMO, he should change the name on the web to just that."The Ultimate Center Channel"
The Intelligibility is Very Very Good .
That is what you want for a center channel.The Bass is more than deep enough for fantastic Dialog.
Just yesterday when i got home at like 4PM, I actually was playing a SACD for a bit on the OPPO 203 in 5.1 surround . The center channel is so good that it took me a good 10 minutes or so to realize that i forgot to turn on the Rogue Audio ST-100 amp . It powers the Left and Right Double Impact Speakers .
All other channels ..Center ,,Surround Left and Right and Sub were playing as they are all , (except SUB),powered by an Emotiva LPA-1 five channel amp with a trigger .
This happened because i do not have trigger capabilities on the Rogue.
It sounded very good without the L/R.
That showed me that the Center is Fantastic
The GR USB cables arrived. They were well packed and in great condition. I really like the looks of them. Nicely finished but with a retro look. And best of all they are very flexible. I'm not going to bend them around much since I'm sure that isn't great for them, but at least I can finally get the small iFI Micro to lay flat on it's isolator feet.
They are now up being broken-in with my wife playing her play list. This is what I deem destructive testing. Her list is a bit "bass heavy". But it's at least on the Bullitt Theater exercise program. So far they sound great. I'm looking forward to some intense listening later this weekend when they get some time on them.
Bill,
Do you make HDMI cables?
Dialed in ? I think it is . It sounds pretty damn .good .
Remember  the McIntosh Mx151 has Lyngdorf Room Correction too , but for up to 7.1 channels, so SACD and DVD-Audios are amazing sounding through the OPPO -203. I just need to get a Good HDMI cable for the audio out from the Oppo player into the McIntosh MX151.
For my pc (jRiver) to the MX151 I am using Purist Audio HDMI.
I may buy that again for the Oppo.
I asked Jim Aud (Purist Audio Owner) on the phone before I bought the HDMI, which of his cable series did it most sound like . His reply was that it sounded most like the 30th Anniversary cable .It has MSRP of $200 for 6 footer. It is definitely  worth that.... and yes you can actually call and speak with him . Phone: 979.265.5114
I would recommend Eric Love(Purist Dealer) from Audio surroundings if anyone is interested on purchasing the HDMI
http://www.audiosurroundings.com/

@grey9hound 

wow! You have been busy and I bet you have it dialed in wonderfully.  
I had the three tweeter, two mid driver version of the DI Center for a while. It worked really well. Better than my B&W HTM1. Which shouldn't be a surprise at this point. But I'm sure 2X times the drivers certainly gets the job done.
@grannyring
My rig is much fuller sounding than when you heard it
I added the DI OversizedCenter from Tekton .http://www.tektondesign.com/center-channel.html

It has four 6 inch drivers and the 7 tweeter array.I am still using jRiver Media Center24. I love it .
I am using HDMI from the PC to the MX151(Purist Audio).
my 70 inch Sony quit on me .
Got a 4k replacement.. Got 4K Roku .
I bought an OPPO UDP-203 universal player .
I have been playing DVD-Audio, SACD and 4k movies .
The cool thing is that the UDP-203 has an HDMI input . I am using it for the 4K Roku stick.
This way i get all audio through the MX151
Also has 2 HDMI outs. One for Audio only (to the McIntosn MX151) and video to the Tv only.
This way your A/V processor does not have to Pass or Process 4K .
Somebody was thinking on that one.
I highly Recommend the UDP-203. I doubt they have any left, though.
They are going to quit and shutdown production after they are all gone .
They had 9 left when i ordered mine last week from Oppo Digital $549.00
People are buying them and trying to sell them for $800 and up.
I would say that streaming has killed the manufacturing of the player.
This could be a trend in the industry.
Do you make hdmi cables ?

Looks like my cables will be here tomorrow just in time for a weekend of break-in and listening. Can't wait... I remain just a big kid. I think Peter Pan was an Audiophile.
@grey9hound 

thanks for asking.  I just can’t share my design as I work hard at it and it is unique. I will say it sounds very rich, organic and natural.  The tone is beautiful and it helps your total music collection sound good.  Not just those few great recordings. 

The 5 volt Vbus is isolated and shielded from the data wires with a unique shielding material. 

How is your rig sounding these days? 
I've been using an Audioquest Carbon USB for the past 6 months or so.  The other two I've tried were a Panges SE and AQ Cinnamon.  I thought they sounded great, until I introduced the Carbon.

The Carbon has a smoother/sharper sound, and fuller bass.  I have no desire to change it.  Yet...
I have not heard yours , so i cannot say.I will not disagree.
I just know that out of many that I have tried the Purist are very good.
Can you tell us more about the construction, of yours please ?
Type of wire, insulation,wire gauge ,etc.
Do you make USB and  HDMI too ?
@grey9hound

you may like mine as much or better for far, far less money 😁 They are that good. I know the Purist are very good.
I will bet  that the Ultimate USB and or the HDMI cables from Purist Audio Design are more towards the sound you are looking for . They are some of my favorites
bullitt5094,

You made a good decision and I think those grannyring cables will give you the sound you want.But as you know only one way to find out and let us know how they work out.

I’ve used the Shunyata venom and for me it was only ever so slightly better than a standard cheap usb cable in all sonic quality’s,no experience with the gemini though.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
I have two grannyring cables on the way. I have limited exposure to compare them though. Only BJC Cables, iFI gemini and Shunyata Research Venom. The BJC are nothing special, but the iFI Gemini makes the BJC cables sound great in comparison. I wouldn't wish the Geminis on my worse enemy. I love the sound of the Shunyata Research Venom. At $90 they are a heck of a value and I have them on both sides of my iFI Micro USB now. But I'm sure the aren't in the same class as the Lush. I wanted to sample the lush but if Grannyrings are similar, I am really looking forward to their sound. My Ulfberhts with the 2170 just respond to anything you change in front of them. That's a ton of fun for me.
I would like to talk about USB cables a little,now I know this subject is highly subjective and controversial and if I didn’t try some different ones in my system,I wouldn’t have found the perfect match in Synergy for my system.

I didn’t think in the beginning that a Digital cable would make any difference at all but I’m a firm believer now and after trying several in my system and there again for my preference in sonics I have found a couple of cables that present themselves in a natural pleasing manner and the icing on the cake is they won’t hurt your wallet to bad.

I was lucky and got to borrow a few of the more expensive so called high end ones,such as wireworld and synergistic research,but I found these cables to be quite brite sounding and really exaggerate the leading and trailing edges of notes with none or very little bloom to the sound.
I ended up buying one of the phasure lush cables and I have been comparing this cable with a custom made cable that grannyring is making and perfecting over several months of careful listening comparisons.

I do believe that they both compare quite closely and I could easily live with either one and I have no desire to try anything else at this point.

I usually do these cable comparisons by leaving a cable in my system for a wk or two and listen to all kinds of music,then I will swap and do the same and make my decision based on how well a cable balances out several different recordings in sonics and there again It’s all about overall system synergy and individual sonic preferences.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
Robelvick,

I wish you also the best of luck with the micromega and do let us know what you think.

The micromega is a interesting class d Intergrated that has a high quality built in dac that will accept high resolution digital and it looks to be a really solid build quality.If I ever get the chance to hear one I definitely will.

As Time moves fwd I definitely think we will see more of these one box wonders that are highly musical and functional and not just “Lifestyle components” that have the higher WAF.

I always go where my ears take me but sometimes my wallet doesn’t back that up either.

Kenny.
@mofojo

I’ve had the M100 only a few days, but I was able to do some A/B testing with the Lyngdorf.

The M100 is a class A/B amp, with no digital conversion on it’s analog inputs, and a traditional DAC built in. Different beasts altogether.

The M100 does have a room correction software called M.A.R.S. but that’s on order from the manufacturer , so I can’t do any comparison with that and Room Perfect since my 2170 just sold.

I can tell you that I do not miss the 2170 whatsoever. In my room, with my speakers, I easily prefer the M100. More grip, more life, soul...whatever you want to call it. That’s just what I hear though. YMMV.

The three pairs I tested w/ both amps - Salk Sound: Songbirds, Tyler Acoustics: Linbrook, and Scansonic: MB-2.5. Maybe those three don’t pair as well with the Lyngdorf as they do with the Micromega.

Curious if anyone else has heard both amps? 
Robelvick,

good of luck with your change please keep us up on your findings and comparison to the Lyngdorf.
@mofojo 

I originally wanted to try the 3400, but even after selling the 2170 I'm not even close to being able to afford one.

I could have sold off some speakers, but I decided to take the opportunity to try something I've had my eye on for a while... so I went with a Micromega M-100 instead.
grannyring,

That’s some really good customer service on Lyngdorf’s part In sending you what you need to fix your display.
Please keep us updated on how it all works out.

Kenny.
I would say that the 2170 and probably the 3400 need around 250 hrs to be at their very best,mainly related to the wonderful soundstage that they can deliver being truthful to the individual recordings.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
I have also had communication problems with HiFi, but only as much as delays. Not a huge deal, but 2 days in response times can be very frustrating. Especially when you’re eager to purchase new gear.

I will say that their trade-in policy is awfully generous, of course I was trading in almost new equipment. Helped me purchase my first 2170, which I could not have come close to affording at that time.

I did end up selling my 2nd 2170, but made the decision to jump off the Lyngdorf wagon for the time being, and am not pursuing the 3400. Just too expensive for my budget.
Maybe I was lucky and never dealt with the owner direct, not sure tbh
Sorry you had a bad experience though, definitely not warranted in today's age of ever diminished hifi sales.
Not positive for a forward looking resaler